International road haulage removal permits

Apply for an international removal permit for European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) member countries if you're a specialist removals company.

About the permits

You can apply for a permit for laden or empty journeys if you’re a specialist removal company and you move household goods and business possessions between or across European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) countries.

There are no limits on the number of available permits.


You must:

Where you can use the permits

You can use ECMT permits in 43 countries. These include:

  • EU and EEA countries (except Cyprus)
  • 15 other countries

ECMT member countries

Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the UK.

Apply for permits

Download and fill in the application form.

Apply for an ECMT international removal permit

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Send it to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) at least 5 working days before you start your removal journey from the UK.

Include a cheque or postal order to pay the fee. If you want to pay by debit or credit card, DVSA will contact you to take the payment when your application arrives.

International Road Haulage Permits Office
Hillcrest House
386 Harehills Lane


Each permit costs £18 and lasts for one year.

You can only use a permit for one vehicle at a time.

Rules for using the permits

You must only use the permit for moving and removing household goods and business possessions.

You can only use the permit in one vehicle at a time.

You cannot use the permit for cabotage (journeys entirely within one other EU member state)

What to do when you make journeys

You must carry the permit in your vehicle for the whole of the outward and return journey. This includes an unladen journey before or after a laden one.

You must show the permit to any enforcement officer when asked to.

Check what other vehicle documents and driver documents the driver needs to carry on international journeys.

Lost, damaged or stolen permits

Contact DVSA straight away if you lose or damage a permit, or if one is stolen.

DVSA International Road Haulage Permits Office
Telephone: 0330 678 1117
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

If you give up your operator licence

You need to return your permits to DVSA if you apply to give up (‘surrender’) your vehicle operator licence.

Published 26 November 2018
Last updated 1 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updated the application form with the latest version.
  2. First published.