Instructing exercise and fitness apprenticeships
Types of apprenticeships that you can apply for in the instructing exercise and fitness sector.
The health and fitness industry is a large component of the active leisure and learning sector and is made up of privately run clubs and publicly run gyms through various leisure facilities run by local authorities or leisure trusts.
At intermediate level, you could work as a fitness instructor or gym instructor, responsible for:
- maintaining the gym
- developing session plans
- delivering sessions for members
- reception duties
- increasing membership sales.
You could also work as an exercise instructor:
- working with children and adults
- preparing, delivering and evaluating exercise sessions, such as aerobics, step aerobics, circuit training, and aqua aerobics
At advanced level you could work as a personal trainer:
- preparing and delivering training programmes for adults on an individual basis
- catering for a variety of needs ranging from older adults to athletes and people wishing to train for a specific sporting activity
Types of apprenticeships
There are 2 types of instructing exercise and fitness apprenticeship at intermediate and advanced level.
Intermediate level apprenticeship
- fitness instructor/gym instructor
- recreation assistant
- exercise instructors
- leisure centre assistant
Advanced level apprenticeship
- advanced fitness instructor
- studio coordinator
- personal trainer
- yoga and pilates teacher