How to become a MCA approved doctor
Find out about MCA's recruitment process for approved doctors (ADs).
This guidance for doctors takes you through:
- MCA’s general criteria for ADs
- types of AD
- how to apply for appointment as an AD
MCA’s recruitment system has been established in agreement with maritime employers and seafarer’s trade union organisations.
It aims to serve the seafarers working on UK vessels, and holding UK Certificates of Competency (CoCs).
MCA is recruiting for ADs in
- Orkney area - ongoing
- St Austell Area - Closing Date 20 January 2017
Criteria for appointment as an AD
The appointment of Approved Doctors to carry out ENG1 seafarer medical examinations is restricted to areas where a demand for at least 50 examinations in a year has been demonstrated.
The most suitable candidate is appointed based on qualifications, experience and location.
The full recruitment procedure is detailed in ‘chapter 2 - the role of an approved doctor’, in MCA’s approved doctor’s manual.
The three categories of ADs
General list doctors are:
- available to all seafarers
- spread over a wide geographical network
- mainly appointed on a replacement basis
Vacancies are advertised locally using the local CCG; MCA keeps a file on those who have expressed an interest in becoming an AD. You’ll then be invited to apply to make sure of fair and open competition.
All the applications are reviewed by MCA’s chief medical adviser.
Company doctors are:
- appointed at the request of companies with vessels on the UK flag, subject to the MCA chief medical adviser’s scrutiny of qualifications and experience
- only able to do medicals on those employed by the shipping company
- usually contractors to major shipping companies, or providing services to a ship management or crewing company
- expected to provide a full occupational medical service for the shipping company
- are companies who provide services to several employers, ship management or crewing companies
- may ask, once approved, that named doctors are appointed (subject to MCA chief medical adviser scrutiny)
- may take on additional client companies, but must tell MCA about the companies they have contracts with
- are only approved to examine the staff of companies they are contracted with
- must meet MCA’s requirements for being accountable and honest
Apply to become an approved doctor
Download the application form to become an approved doctor, then send your completed application to the address on the form.
Speculative applications (meaning those not part of a recruitment process started by MCA) will be kept on file until a specific vacancy comes up.
The chief medical adviser will review your application, then it’ll be acknowledged by the medical administration team.
Published: 6 May 2014
Updated: 16 December 2016
- MCA is recruiting for ADs in St Austell Area - Closing Date 20 January 2017. Immingham vacancy is now closed.
- Update recruiting - Immingham Area - Closing Date 15 December 2016
- Updated - Bristol area recruitment closed
- Doctors vacancy removed
- New Approved Doctor vacancy - Bristol area
- Added Dartmouth area to current vacancies
- Update - recruitment closed in London area.
- Update - recruitment closed in Manchester area.
- Updated - Southampton area recruitment closed.
- Oban and Lancaster/Morecambe trawls removed
- Closing date for London updated
- New Approved Doctor recruitment area added, Manchester
- Update to recruitment areas:; Southampton Area
- Closing date for Oban updated
- Update to recruitment areas; Lancaster/ Morecambe Area - Closing Date 27 May 2016
- New date for recruitment in Orkney
- Added details of the vacancy in the Lowestoft area.
- Update MCA now recruiting in Glasgow Area - Closing Date 4 March 2016
- Updated; No recruitment campaigns at this time.
- Updated recruitment; Portsmouth/Southsea Area - Closing Date 27th October 2015
- Updated Recruitment: Mallorca to close 8th Nov 2015
- Update: Recruitment in Liverpool Area - Closing Date 26th October 2015
- No current recruitment campaigns
- Holly Head campaign closed 21 August 2015
- Trawls at Edinburgh & Grangemouth; and Ipswich now closed.
- Update recruitment; London - Closing Date 12 September 2015
- Update recruitment of approved doctors; Holyhead - Closing Date 21 August 20152015
- Update recruitment; Aberdeen - Closing Date 12 September 2015
- Updated MCA approved doctors recruitment - Ipswich - Closing Date 10 August 2015
- Updated to include recruitment in Edinburgh and Grangemouth Area
- Updated MSN 1822 replaced by MSN 1839
- MCA is not currently recruiting approved doctors.
- Update Plymouth - Closing Date 15th April 2015 with additional information; Letter to Plymouth Practicitioners 20.03.2015
- Updated recruitment; Isle of Wight - Closing Date 31 March 2015
- Updated MCA recruitment areas; Liverpool - Closing Date 31 March 2015
- Updated Recruiting: Pembrokeshire - Closing Date 6 March 2015
- Updated: Currently recruiting approved doctors in Great Yarmouth - Closing Date 6 March 2015
- Colchester vacancy date extended 16 12 14
- Recruitment campaign for Shetland added 10th December 2014. Two closed campaigns removed.
- AD vacancies updated 25 11 14
- AD vacancies updated (24 11 14)
- AD vacancies updated 12 11 14
- AD vacancies updated (16 10 14)
- AD vacancies updated (22 09 14)
- Update to vacancies (17 09 14)
- Updated with AD vacancy details (30/07/14)
- Deatils of new AD vacancies added
- MCA AD vacancies updated 26 06 14
- First published.