How business unit administrators activate their account to create and manage user accounts.
As a business unit administrator, you should have the following from HM Land Registry to start using portal:
- a security token (this is a one-touch number generator that is designed to be compact and easy to use. It generates a single-use number sequence, which is required every time you login to the system to create or update user accounts for your organisation)
- a username (userID) and a temporary password
- Enter your ‘Username’.
- Enter your temporary password.
- Select ‘Login’ to continue.
Choose your password
- You need to change the temporary password to one of your own the first time you login, using the ‘Expired password’ screen.
Your ‘New password’ must comply with the rules shown on-screen otherwise, it will be rejected by the system.
- Enter your temporary password in the ‘Old password’ field and your new one in the ‘New password’ and ‘Confirm new password’ fields.
- Select ‘Change’ to continue.
Set your ‘Shared secrets’
After you have changed your password, the ‘Initialise Inactive User’ screen is displayed.
- You must create answers to 3 ‘Shared Secrets’. These are used as a security check if you later need to reset your password or security token. The rules governing the format of your answers are set out on screen. The drop-down menu for each question contains a range of set questions. Once you have chosen a question from each drop-down menu, you must type in an answer only known to you.
- Make a note of your answers for future reference, but keep this information in a secure place.
- Remember to make sure that your answers comply with the on-screen rules.
- Select ‘Save’ to continue. You will be prompted to amend an answer if it does not conform to the rules and then need to select ‘Save’ again.
Your security token
You will need the security token sent to you by HM Land Registry. This is used to generate a unique 8 digit code.
You must keep your security token safe as you will need it to generate a number each time you login to your administrator account.
- Hold down the button on the front of the token for a few seconds until an 8 digit number appears on the screen.
- Enter the number into the ‘Token number’ field. You need to do this promptly as the token turns off after 60 seconds of inactivity.
- You can turn off the token yourself by pressing the button again.
- Select ‘Login’ to continue. The system checks the number you have entered and if verified, opens the ‘My Portal Home’ page.
If you have pressed the button and generated a number 10 times without any being entered and verified by the system, the token will become locked. A message will be displayed informing you that this has happened and you will need to follow the on-screen instructions to reset it.
You are ready to start
You can then start using Administrative Services. Your business unit administrator account does not enable you to lodge applications. If you want to do this, you need to create a separate user account for yourself.
Read our portal guides including how to create and manage user accounts. We recommend that you read these and the following documents before starting:
- Conditions of use: Portal and Business Gateway for information about your responsibilities as a business unit administrator
- HM Land Registry Business e-services technical manual for more information about the business unit administrator role
- HM Land Registry Network Access Agreement for organisations using Network Services only
When you have completed your tasks, select ‘Logout’ at the top of the screen to exit the system securely.