Get help with online meetings from HMRC if you're an agent.
Interactive online webinars, known as talking points, can last up to an hour.
To attend an upcoming online webinar, register and sign in at least 5 minutes before it starts.
You can ask your host questions during a meeting using the on-screen text box.
Upcoming online meetings
Payrolling – tax employees benefits through payroll
Payrolling is designed to make it easier for employees to see that they’re paying the right amount of tax, and easier for employers as they’ll not need to send in P11Ds for payrolled benefits. We’ll demonstrate, using examples, how registering for payrolling works and what happens once someone has registered.
Join us to find out more about the advantages of payrolling benefits in kind provided to employees and their employer.
Agent toolkits and you
Toolkits Service Manager, Dan Barnett, will give a live demonstration of the agent toolkits and answer your questions.
Making Tax Digital for Business and VAT
The latest of our regular sessions on Making Tax Digital (MTD). From April 2019, VAT registered entities with a taxable turnover above the VAT registration threshold must keep VAT records digitally and file their VAT returns using MTD compatible software.
Our October session will bring you the latest news on MTD including information on creating and using your new agent services account, which is required to access new HMRC online services.
If you’re new to MTD, you may want to review some material or previous webinars using Help and support for Making Tax Digital before the session.
You can also look at the recently published information for businesses on Making Tax Digital: how VAT businesses and other VAT entities can get ready.
An updated introduction to the Enterprise Investment Scheme
This webinar will give an overview of the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS). It will look at:
- the revised EIS application procedure
- how investors claim EIS relief
- common errors made when claiming relief
Community Interest Companies and sustainability – funding, dividends and tax relief
This webinar will cover:
- what Community Interest Companies are
- director’s responsibilities
- tax incentives
- dividend payments
HMRC: conclusions from new UK generally accepted accounting practice transition
This webinar will look at the key findings from our review of companies adopting new UK generally accepted accounting practice (UK GAAP) including common errors.
We’ll look at available HMRC guidance on new UK GAAP transition, and provide helpful tips on the tax treatment of prior period adjustments.
HMRC’s Agent Compliance Team and their interaction with tax agents
This webinar will look at how HMRC review the agent’s processes in representing their clients’ interests across the relevant tax regimes and a brief summary of the team’s work when there is a suspicion that the tax agent has engaged in dishonest conduct.
A basic introduction to trade marks
In this webinar the Intellectual Property Office will give a brief overview on intellectual property with the focus being on trade marks.
This basic introduction will tell you how to search for trade marks, UK filing, international routes and costs.
Automatic enrolment – the next steps
This webinar will go through the details of the third and final increase in the legal minimum contribution rates on 6th April 2019, as well as the longer term plans for future legislative changes.
We’ll tell you about the latest cases of non-compliance and update you on our enforcement actions. We’ll look at the lessons learnt from this,including the most common mistakes and how to avoid them.
We’ll also highlight the recently launched ScamSmart campaign.
Catch up with the Apprenticeship Levy online meeting from 14 February 2017 to find out:
- when you need to pay the levy
- how much you need to pay
- about apprenticeship funding in England
Catch up with the basis period online meeting from 6 June 2018 to find out:
- the different rules that apply to commencement years
- how the basis period is affected when there’s a change of accounting date
Capital allowances and vehicles
Catch up with the capital allowances and vehicles online meeting from 9 August 2018 to find out:
- information for sole trader clients
- about special rules for cars
- what is defined as a car for capital allowance purposes
Capital Gains Tax
Catch up with the Capital Gains Tax online meeting to find out:
- when compensation can be subject to Capital Gains Tax and how the tax rules apply (from 16 January 2018)
- about the circumstances when Private Residence Relief may apply and how the tax rules operate (from 4 September 2018)
Catch up with the Companies House online meetings to find out:
- about late filing penalties, how to avoid, appeal and pay (from 10 July 2018)
- about restoring a limited company to the register and how to avoid common mistakes (from 14 March 2018)
- what a Community Interest Company is (from 18 July 2017)
- about the electronic enablement of accounts (from 17 May 2017)
- how to reduce the risk of your filed accounts being rejected (from 10 November 2016)
Construction Industry Scheme
Catch up with these Construction Industry Scheme online meetings to find out about:
- what the scheme is, registration and common errors (from 24 August 2017)
- online filing (from 16 February 2018)
Catch up with the Corporation Tax Loss relief online meeting from 9 May 2018 to find out about the reform of Corporation Tax loss relief that applied from 1 April 2017.
Catch up with the creative tax relief online meeting from 24 April 2018 to find out about Corporation Tax reliefs available to production companies in the creative industry sector.
Catch up with the company tax returns online revisited online meeting from 17 April 2018 to find out about how to identify and resolve many of the common online filing errors.
Enterprise Investment Scheme
Catch up with the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) online meeting from 15 June 2018 to find out about common errors made by companies when submitting EIS applications and errors made by investors seeking to claim EIS relief.
Catch up with the Entrepreneurs’ Relief online meeting from 29 September 2016 about the changes to legislation that may affect eligibility when claiming Entrepreneurs’ Relief.
Catch up with the business expenses for self-employed online meeting from 11 September 2018 about what is and is not classed as an allowable business expense, including motoring and premises costs.
Intellectual property and how to protect it
Catch up with the Intellectual Property Office online meetings to find out:
- how to identify the value within your business and the methods of valuation to help access finance (from 3 July 2018)
- about protecting businesses from intellectual property crime and infringement (from 23 March 2018)
- how to use the Intellectual Property Office’s online tools (from 28 July 2017)
- how registered designs can benefit a business (from 9 June 2017)
- what copyright is, how long it lasts and how to prove you own a copyright (from 16 February 2017)
- about trademarks (from 27 October 2017)
How we tax waste is changing. Catch up with the Landfill Tax online meeting to find out about the new legislation.
Catch up with the negligible value online meeting from 6 September 2018 which looks at certain conditions that must be met for your clients to claim an asset that has become of negligible value. We’ll also give an overview of share loss relief.
The Patent Box
Catch up with the Patent Box online meeting from 1 November 2017 about how to:
- apply for the Patent Box
- pay a lower rate of Corporation Tax on profits earned from patented inventions and innovations
Catch up with the trade losses meeting from 18 July 2018 to find out about the different ways trade losses may be relieved.
UK generally accepted accounting practice (UK GAAP)
Catch up with the UK GAAP online meeting from 31 May 2017 to find out:
- why you need to keep financial statements
- common issues with financial statements
VAT and motoring expenses
Catch up with the VAT and motoring expenses online meeting from 31 May 2018 to find out about:
- claiming VAT on cars
- hiring and leasing vehicles
- commercial vehicles
- the records you need to keep
VAT Flat Rate Scheme
Catch up with the Flat Rate Scheme online meeting from 1 March 2017 to find out:
- what the scheme is
- what has changed
- how to use the Flat Rate Scheme online service to help you complete your VAT Return
Change to Self Assessment tax returns: exclusions
Catch up with the Self Assessment tax return online meeting from 7 August 2018 to find out about:
- what exclusions are
- submitting Self Assessment tax returns affected by exclusion
- paper return submissions
Catch up with the Inheritance Tax online meeting from 6 September 2017 to find out about:
- changes to the residence nil rate band (RNRB) and the transferable nil rate band (TRNRB)
- tools and guidance
Catch up with the residence online meetings to find out about:
- new deemed domicile provisions and the tax impact (from 1 June 2018)
- the changes to the anti-avoidance provisions for non-resident trusts and the impact on non-domiciled and deemed domiciled individuals
- demystifying certificates of residence for limited companies (from 12 September 2018)
- double taxation for individuals with dual residency (from 14 October 2016)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 1 to 3 (from 2 August 2017)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 4 to 8 (from 2 August 2017)
Catch up with the Simple Assessment online meeting from 19 October 2017 to find out about the new system.
Automatic pension enrolment
Catch up with the automatic enrolment online meetings to find out:
Benefits and expenses
Catch up with the Class 1A National Insurance online meeting from 28 June 2018 to find out about how to complete P11D(b) forms.
Catch up with the National Minimum Wage online meeting from 30 August 2018 to find out how to carry out the necessary checks to avoid mistakes.
Getting payroll right - your data matters
The data you submit is important as it can potentially impact your employees’ tax assessments and Universal Credit awards. This webinar on getting payroll right from 31 July 2018 is about how we can help you to get it right and will give tips on easy and successful payroll.
P11D Submission overview
Catch up with the P11D Submission Overview online meeting from 27 June 2018 to find out about how to complete P11Ds.
Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
Catch up with the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) online meeting from 19 July 2017 to find out:
- how PAYE has changed
- why PAYE has changed
- who’s affected by these changes
Catch up with the payroll online meeting from 26 May 2017 to find out:
- how to run payroll
- the benefits of payroll
- about the statutory framework
- how to deduct tax on benefits and taxable expenses through PAYE
Statutory Maternity and Paternity Pay
Catch up with the Statutory Maternity and Paternity Pay online meeting from 4 May 2018 to find out what payments can be made and how to work them out.
Statutory Sick Pay
This webinar on Statutory Sick Pay includes:
- what needs to considered when an employee is sick
- the qualifying conditions
- what happens when an employee is not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay
- how to pay Statutory Sick Pay
Catch up with the tax codes online meetings to find out:
- about changes to how tax codes are calculated (from 4 September 2017)
- how adjustments in tax codes for state benefits are calculated (from 20 June 2017)
What’s new for employers 2018
Catch up with the what’s new online meeting from 27 March 2018 for an overview of the employer payroll changes from 2018, including:
- the change to the Income Tax basic personal allowance and the rates of tax for the new tax year
- the thresholds for Class 1 National Insurance
- expenses and benefits for employees, including fuel benefit charge for company cars, van and fuel benefit
- the new rates for Statutory Payments
- National Living and National Minimum wage rates
- other changes that may affect your clients’ business
Catch up with the 2-step verification online meeting from 21 February 2017 to find out:
- what business identity verification is
- how to set up business identity verification
- what 2-step verification is
- how to set up 2-step verification
Agent help and support products consultation
Catch up with the agent help and support products consultation webinar from 27 September 2018 where we were looking for agent views and feedback regarding the:
- agent blog
- agent forum
- agent podcasts
- agent video recordings
We gave an overview of each service, and took agent feedback.
Application Programming Interface
Catch up with the Application Programming Interface (API) online meeting from 18 August 2017 to find out more about APIs and tax software for agents.
Catch up with the cyber hygiene online meeting from 9 March 2018 to find out:
- what cyber hygiene is
- how it can benefit you
- how it helps towards protecting you against the latest emerging cyber threats
Catch up with the cyber security online meeting from 14 June 2018 to find out:
- types of cyber crime
- about the Cyber Aware campaign
- how to recognise and avoid cyber crime
- how to report cyber crime
Making Tax Digital for Business
Catch up with the Making Tax Digital for Business and VAT online meeting from 20 September 2018.
Catch up with the Making Tax Digital for Business and VAT online meeting from 25 July 2018.
Catch up with the Making Tax digital for Business general meeting online meeting from 22 May 2018.
Catch up with the Income Tax pilot online meeting from 26 April 2018 to find out about the Making Tax Digital for Business Income Tax pilot and how to setup your agent services account.
Catch up with the Making Tax Digital for Business online meeting from 6 March 2018 to find out what you need to do to help your clients prepare for the change and how to get involved in the pilot.
Catch up with the trusts online meeting from 17 November 2017 about the new trust registration service.
Dealing with HMRC
Agent Account Managers (AAMs)
Agent forum and the role of the Issues Overview Group (IOG)
Catch up with the agent forum online meeting from 21 November 2017 to find out about the operation of the online agent forum and the role of the IOG, which is made up of representatives of the professional bodies.
Catch up with the agent services online meeting from 30 November 2017 to find out about agent access to services and how to set up an agent services account.
Automatic Exchange of Information
Catch up with the Automatic Exchange of Information online meeting from 14 July 2016 to find out:
- about reporting standards
- types of reporting financial institutions
Catch up with the complaints handling in HMRC online meeting from 28 March 2018 to find out about our approach to complaints handling and redress, and the steps we’re taking to improve the service we offer.
Catch up with the insolvency online meeting from 21 April 2018 to find out about the role HMRC as a creditor in voluntary arrangements.
Catch up with the payment online meetings to find out about:
- the removal of the Post Office Transcash service (from 27 November 2017)
- reducing cheque payments and withdrawing payable orders (from 11 July 2017)
Requirement to correct and other offshore tax developments
Catch up with this webinar on the requirement to correct and offshore tax from 15 August 2018 to find out how HMRC is planning to reduce offshore non-compliance and get taxpayers to disclose more information.
Catch up with the tax avoidance online meetings to find out about:
- detailed settlement calculations (1 August 2018)
- common issues that have been raised relating to disguised remuneration (1 May 2018)
- more common issues that have been raised relating to disguised remuneration (19 June 2018)
- disguised remuneration and how to settle your tax affair if you’re an employer (from 30 January 2018)
- about disguised remuneration and how to settle if you’re in a contractor loan Scheme (from 6 February 2018)
- guidance for insolvency professionals and dealing with potential tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- common issues in insolvency proceedings involving tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- how to break out of the tax avoidance cycle (from 22 September 2017)
Catch up with the admitting Tax fraud online meeting from 5 June 2018 to find out how agents can help HMRC tackle tax fraud.
Worldwide Disclosure Facility
Catch up with the Worldwide Disclosure Facility online meeting 31 August 2017 to find out how and when to use it.
Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)
Catch up with the ATED online meeting from 11 April 2017 to find out:
- what the service is
- the benefits of it
- how to set up your agency for the service
Income Tax relief on property
Catch up with the income from property for individual landlords - changes introduced by Finance Act 2 2017 webinar from 26 September 2018 which was an in depth look at the 2 measures introduced by Finance Act 2 2017.
The cash basis for property businesses from the tax year 2017 to 2018, the cash basis will be the default basis for most property businesses that are run by individuals.
The property allowance tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.
Catch up with income from property – what’s new from 18 July 2018 to find out about some of the recent changes to the taxation of property income that now apply to individual landlords, including:
- the finance cost relief restriction
- the 2017 to 2018 cash basis rules for calculating profits of a rental business
Catch up with the income from property online meeting from 8 December 2017 to find out about:
Inheritance Tax, enveloped UK residential property and related finance
Catch up with the Inheritance Tax, enveloped UK residential property and related finance online meeting from 25 June 2018.
Option to tax
Catch up with the latest option to tax webinar from 21 August 2018 to find out how an option to tax can impact input tax recovery.
Stamp Duty Land Tax
Catch up with the Stamp Duty Land Tax webinar on the higher rate on the purchase of an additional dwelling from 14 August 2018.
Use agent toolkits to help you understand how to submit accurate returns to HMRC. They include checklists which you can use to avoid common errors.
Catch up with the agent toolkits online meeting from 15 November 2017 to find out how the toolkits work.
Catch up on the agent toolkits consultation online meeting to see the proposed new design from 1 March 2018.