Get help if you're an agent with online meetings from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Interactive online meetings, known as talking points, can last up to an hour.
To attend an upcoming online meeting, register and sign in at least 5 minutes before it starts.
You can ask your host questions during a meeting using the on-screen text box.
Upcoming online meetings
Agent toolkits consultation
Toolkits Service Manager, Dan Barnett, will be providing a live demonstration of the proposed new design for the agent toolkits and answering your questions to get your feedback on the look and functionality of the new design.
What’s new for employers 2018
This meeting will give agents an overview of the employer payroll changes from 2018, including:
- the change to the Income Tax basic personal allowance and the rates of tax for the new tax year
- the thresholds for Class 1 National Insurance
- expenses and benefits for employees, including fuel benefit charge for company cars, van and fuel benefit
- the new rates for Statutory Payments
- National Living and National Minimum wage rates
other changes that may affect your clients’ business
- 7 March 2018, 9:30am to 10:30am
- 7 March 2018, 11:30am to 12:30pm
Understanding cyber hygiene and how it benefits your business
The changing cyber landscape means businesses need to stay one step ahead. Having good cyber hygiene will go a long way to help to protect your business and your clients’. In this webinar we’ll introduce what cyber hygiene is, how it can benefit you and how it helps towards protecting you against the latest emerging cyber threats.
Corporation Tax (CT) loss relief
We will be covering the reform of Corporation Tax loss relief that applies from 1 April 2017.
The focus is on the relaxation of relief for carried-forward losses, which can affect companies of any size.
We’ll talk about what companies can and can’t do with carried-forward losses under the new rules, with some worked examples and a question and answer session at the end.
Companies House: restoring a limited company to the register and how to avoid common mistakes
In the last financial year 7,788 companies were restored to the register. The aim of this talking points webinar is to help get restorations right first time.
New deemed domicile provisions and the tax impact
A high level overview of deemed domicile provisions and the impact of the new reforms for Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Inheritance Tax. A high level overview of cleansing of mixed funds and Capital Gains Tax rebasing. Trust protections won’t be covered, but will be included in the talking points meeting scheduled for 22 March.
Non-domiciles, offshore trusts - the new regime
A high level look at the changes to the anti-avoidance provisions for non-resident trusts and the impact on non-domiciled and deemed domiciled individuals.
Intellectual Property Office: protecting businesses from intellectual property crime and infringement
This presentation will cover how businesses can protect their intellectual property (for example, trade-marks and copyright) and if necessary enforce their rights using the dedicated Intellectual Property Court, its low cost small claims track.
It will also highlight various aspects of intellectual property crime, to help businesses keep counterfeits out of their supply chain, avoid the risks posed by using unlicensed software and ensure they aren’t inadvertently selling illicit streaming devices.
Listen, learn, act: complaints handling in HMRC
We’ll share our approach to complaints handling and redress and outline the steps we are taking to improve the service we offer. We will also explain what we are doing to learn from the complaints we receive, and how we’re making our complaints service more accessible using digital solutions.
Input Tax Recovery in relation to Option to Tax
This digital meeting will provide a general overview of how an Option to Tax can impact input tax recovery, dispelling some of the myths. We will cover belated notifications and your entitlement to claim input tax.
The role of HMRC as a creditor in Voluntary Arrangements.
This digital meeting will provide a brief introduction to Voluntary Arrangements, both corporate and individual, and HMRC’s policy as a creditor to either support or reject proposals received. It will also cover debts that may be claimed, post insolvency returns, interest and Crown set off.
Catch up with the Apprenticeship Levy online meeting from 14 February 2017 to find out:
- when you need to pay the levy
- how much you need to pay
- about apprenticeship funding in England
Catch up with the basis period online meeting from 7 December 2017 to find out:
- the different rules that apply to commencement years
- how the basis period is affected when there’s a change of accounting date
Capital allowances and vehicles
Catch up with the capital allowances and vehicles online meeting from 13 December 2017 to find out:
- information for sole trader clients
- about special rules for cars
- what is defined as a car for capital allowance purposes
Capital Gains Tax
Catch up on this online meeting from 16 January 2018 to find out when compensation can be subject to Capital Gains Tax, and how the tax rules apply.
Catch up with the Companies House online meetings to find out:
- what a Community Interest Company is (from 7 November 2017)
- about the electronic enablement of accounts (from 17 May 2017)
- how to reduce the risk of your filed accounts being rejected (from 10 November 2016)
Construction Industry Scheme
Catch up with these Construction Industry Scheme online meetings to find out about:
- the basics - what the scheme is, registration and common errors (24 August 2017)
- online filing (16 February 2018)
Catch up with the business expenses for self-employed online meeting from 8 January 2018 about what is and isn’t classed as an allowable business expense, and includes motoring and premises costs.
Catch up with the Entrepreneurs’ Relief online meeting from 29 September 2016 about the changes to legislation may affect eligibility when claiming Entrepreneurs’ Relief.
Intellectual property and how to protect it
Catch up with the Intellectual Property Office online meetings to find out:
- how to use the Intellectual Property Office’s online tools (from 28 July 2017)
- how registered designs can benefit a business (from 9 June 2017)
- what copyright is, how long it lasts and how to prove you own a copyright (from 16 February 2017)
- about trademarks (from 27 October 2017)
Catch up with the negligible value online meeting from 15 December 2017 which looks at certain conditions that must be met for your clients to claim an asset that has become of negligible value. Also an overview of share loss relief.
The Patent Box
Catch up with the Patent Box online meeting from 1 November 2017 about how to:
- apply for the Patent Box
- pay a lower rate of CT on profits earned from patented inventions and innovations
Catch up with the trade losses meeting from 7 December 2017 to find out about the different ways trade losses may be relieved.
UK generally accepted accounting practice (UK GAAP)
Catch up with the UK GAAP online meeting from 31 May 2017 to find out:
- why you need to keep financial statements
- common issues with financial statements
VAT and motoring expenses
Catch up with the VAT and motoring expenses online meeting from 3 October 2017 to find out about:
- claiming VAT on cars
- hiring and leasing vehicles
- commercial vehicles
- the records you need to keep
VAT Flat Rate Scheme
Catch up with the Flat Rate Scheme online meeting from 1 March 2017 to find out:
- what the scheme is
- what has changed
- how to use the Flat Rate Scheme online service to help you complete your VAT Return
Change to Self Assessment tax returns - exclusions
Catch up with the Self Assessment tax return online meeting from 23 August 2017 to find out about:
- what exclusions are
- submitting Self Assessment tax returns affected by exclusion
- paper return submissions
Class 2 National Insurance
Catch up with the Class 2 National Insurance reform online meeting from 15 June 2016 to find out:
- how to pay Class 2 National Insurance
- the effect of changes on the benefits application process
Watch YouTube videos about the impact of Class 2 National Insurance on Self Assessment tax returns.
Catch up with the Inheritance Tax online meeting from 6 September 2017 to find out about:
- changes to the residence nil rate band (RNRB) and the transferrable nil rate band (TRNRB)
- tools and guidance
Catch up with the residence online meetings to find out about:
- domicile, relevant income, Capital Gains Tax and the impact of new reforms (from 3 February 2017)
- double taxation for individuals with dual residency (from 14 October 2016)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 1 to 3 (from 2 August 2017)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 4 to 8 (from 2 August 2017)
Catch up with the Simple Assessment online meeting from 19 October 2017 to find out about the new system.
Automatic pension enrolment
Catch up with the automatic enrolment online meetings to find out:
- what automatic enrolment is (from 26 September 2017)
- how to help your clients choose a pension scheme (from 18 May 2017)
- about common errors (from 20 February 2018)
National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage
Catch up with the National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage online meeting from 14 March 2016 to find out about the:
- National Living Wage
- impact of the National Living Wage on businesses
- National Minimum Wage
Catch up with the National Minimum Wage online meeting from 21 September 2017 to find out common errors made by employers.
Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
Catch up with the PAYE online meeting from 19 July 2017 to find out:
- how PAYE has changed
- why PAYE has changed
- who will be affected by these changes
Catch up with the payroll online meeting from 26 May 2017 to find out:
- how to run payroll
- the benefits of payroll
- about the statutory framework
- how to deduct tax on benefits and taxable expenses through PAYE
Catch up with the tax codes online meetings to find out:
- about changes to how tax codes are calculated (from 4 September 2017)
- how estimated pay, third party information and Real Time Information data will influence codes (from 7 July 2017)
- how adjustments in tax codes for state benefits are calculated (from 20 June 2017)
Catch up with the 2-step verification online meeting from 21 February 2017 to find out:
- what business identity verification is
- how to set up business identity verification
- what 2-step verification is
- how to set up 2-step verification
Application Programming Interface (API)
Catch up with the API online meeting from 18 August 2017 to find out more about APIs and tax software for agents.
Catch up with the cyber security online meeting from 11 September 2017 to find out:
- types of cyber crime
- about the Cyber Aware campaign
- how to recognise and avoid cyber crime
- how to report cyber crime
Making Tax Digital for Business
Catch up with the Making Tax Digital for Business online meeting from 13 February 2018 to find out what you need to do to help your clients prepare for the change, and explains how to get involved in the pilot.
Catch up with the trusts online meeting from 17 November 2017 about the new trust registration service.
Dealing with HMRC
Agent Account Managers (AAMs)
Catch up with the AAMs online meeting from 1 June 2016 to find out:
- the benefits of the AAMs service
- how to register
- how to submit an issue
- examples of common issues
Agent forum and the role of the Issues Overview Group (IOG)
Catch up with the agent forum online meeting from 21 November 2017 to find out about the operation of the online agent forum and the role of the IOG, which is made up of representatives of the professional bodies.
Catch up with the agent services online meeting from 30 November 2017 to find out about agent access to services and how to set up an agent services account.
Automatic Exchange of Information
Catch up with the Automatic Exchange of Information online meeting from 14 July 2016 to find out:
- about reporting standards
- types of reporting financial institutions
Catch up with the payment online meetings to find out about:
- the removal of the Post Office Transcash service (from 27 November 2017)
- reducing cheque payments and withdrawing payable orders (from 11 July 2017)
Requirement to Correct and other offshore tax developments
Catch up with this online meeting from 23 January 2018 to find out how HMRC are planning to reduce offshore non-compliance and get taxpayers to disclose more information.
Catch up with the tax avoidance online meetings to find out:
- about Disguised Remuneration and how to settle your tax affair if you’re an employer (from 30 January 2018)
- about Disguised Remuneration and how to settle if you’re in a contractor loan Scheme (from 6 February 2018)
- guidance for insolvency professionals and dealing with potential tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- about common issues in insolvency proceedings involving tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- about how to break out of the tax avoidance cycle (from 22 September 2017)
Catch up with the admitting Tax fraud online meeting from 21 February 2018 to find out how agents can help HMRC tackle tax fraud.
Worldwide Disclosure Facility
Catch up with the Worldwide Disclosure Facility online meeting from 31 August 2017 to find out how and when to use it.
Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)
Catch up with the ATED online meeting from 11 April 2017 to find out:
- what the service is
- the benefits of it
- how to set up your agency for the service
Income Tax relief on property
Catch up with the income from property online meeting from 8 December 2017 to find out about:
Option to tax
Catch up with the option to tax online meeting from 1 September 2017 to find out about the once and done approach.
Use agent toolkits to help you understand how to submit accurate returns to HMRC. They include checklists which you can use to avoid common errors.
Catch up with the agent toolkits online meeting from 15 November 2017 to find out how the toolkits work.