Get help if you're an agent with online meetings from HMRC.
Interactive online meetings, known as talking points, can last up to an hour.
To attend an upcoming online meeting, register and sign in at least 5 minutes before it starts.
You can ask your host questions during a meeting using the on-screen text box.
Upcoming online meetings
Admitting tax fraud: helping us tackle it
This webinar will dismiss some of the myths about how HMRC carries out fraud investigations. We’ll inform you about what we expect from you and your client during investigations, and look at how you can help your clients put their affairs in order if they’ve committed fraud.
Business expenses for the self-employed
This digital meeting has been designed to provide guidance on what is and isn’t classed as an allowable business expense, and will include motoring and premises costs. HMRC subject matter experts will be online during the meeting to take your questions.
Making Tax Digital: a general update for agents preparing their clients
This webinar will include:
- how to sign up for the Agent Services and Income Tax Pilot
- getting ready for the VAT Pilot later this year
- more information about the questions we’ve been asked in previous sessions
Class 1A NICs - getting it right first time
This webinar will look at P11D(b)s, the common mistakes and what you can do to help HMRC process them in a timely manner to help you avoid receiving a penalty.
An introduction to the Enterprise Investment Scheme
This digital meeting will provide an overview of the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS). It will also provide a summary of the common errors made by companies when submitting EIS applications and errors made by investors seeking to claim EIS relief.
Inheritance Tax, enveloped UK residential property and related finance
This webinar provides an overview of the changes made to the Inheritance Tax treatment of foreign assets whose value is attributable to residential property. The changes apply from 6 April 2017 and may restrict the availability of excluded property for non-domiciled individuals and trusts.
Catch up with the Apprenticeship Levy online meeting from 14 February 2017 to find out:
- when you need to pay the levy
- how much you need to pay
- about apprenticeship funding in England
Catch up with the basis period online meeting from 7 December 2017 to find out:
- the different rules that apply to commencement years
- how the basis period is affected when there’s a change of accounting date
Capital allowances and vehicles
Catch up with the capital allowances and vehicles online meeting from 19 April 2018 to find out:
- information for sole trader clients
- about special rules for cars
- what is defined as a car for capital allowance purposes
Capital Gains Tax
Catch up on this online meeting from 16 January 2018 to find out when compensation can be subject to Capital Gains Tax, and how the tax rules apply.
Catch up with the Companies House online meetings to find out:
- about restoring a limited company to the register and how to avoid common mistakes (from 14 March 2018)
- what a Community Interest Company (from 18 July 2017)
- about the electronic enablement of accounts (from 17 May 2017)
- how to reduce the risk of your filed accounts being rejected (from 10 November 2016)
Construction Industry Scheme
Catch up with these Construction Industry Scheme online meetings to find out about:
- the basics - what the scheme is, registration and common errors (from 24 August 2017)
- online filing (from 16 February 2018)
Catch up with the creative tax relief online meeting from 24 April 2018 to find out about Corporation Tax reliefs available to production companies in the creative industry sector.
Catch up with the company tax returns online revisited online meeting from 17 April 2018 to find out about how to identify and resolve many of the common online filing errors.
Catch up with the business expenses for self-employed online meeting from 8 January 2018 about what is and is not classed as an allowable business expense, and includes motoring and premises costs.
Catch up with the Entrepreneurs’ Relief online meeting from 29 September 2016 about the changes to legislation may affect eligibility when claiming Entrepreneurs’ Relief.
Intellectual property and how to protect it
Catch up with the Intellectual Property Office online meetings to find out:
- about protecting businesses from intellectual property crime and infringement (from 23 March 2018)
- how to use the Intellectual Property Office’s online tools (from 28 July 2017)
- how registered designs can benefit a business (from 9 June 2017)
- what copyright is, how long it lasts and how to prove you own a copyright (from 16 February 2017)
- about trademarks (from 27 October 2017)
Catch up with the negligible value online meeting from 15 December 2017 which looks at certain conditions that must be met for your clients to claim an asset that has become of negligible value. Also an overview of share loss relief.
The Patent Box
Catch up with the Patent Box online meeting from 1 November 2017 about how to:
- apply for the Patent Box
- pay a lower rate of Corporation Tax on profits earned from patented inventions and innovations
Catch up with the trade losses meeting from 11 April 2018 to find out about the different ways trade losses may be relieved.
UK generally accepted accounting practice (UK GAAP)
Catch up with the UK GAAP online meeting from 31 May 2017 to find out:
- why you need to keep financial statements
- common issues with financial statements
VAT and motoring expenses
Catch up with the VAT and motoring expenses online meeting from 27 February 2018 to find out about:
- claiming VAT on cars
- hiring and leasing vehicles
- commercial vehicles
- the records you need to keep
VAT Flat Rate Scheme
Catch up with the Flat Rate Scheme online meeting from 1 March 2017 to find out:
- what the scheme is
- what has changed
- how to use the Flat Rate Scheme online service to help you complete your VAT Return
Change to Self Assessment tax returns: exclusions
Catch up with the Self Assessment tax return online meeting from 23 August 2017 to find out about:
- what exclusions are
- submitting Self Assessment tax returns affected by exclusion
- paper return submissions
Class 2 National Insurance
Catch up with the Class 2 National Insurance reform online meeting from 15 June 2016 to find out:
- how to pay Class 2 National Insurance
- the effect of changes on the benefits application process
Watch YouTube videos about the impact of Class 2 National Insurance on Self Assessment tax returns.
Catch up with the Inheritance Tax online meeting from 6 September 2017 to find out about:
- changes to the residence nil rate band (RNRB) and the transferrable nil rate band (TRNRB)
- tools and guidance
Catch up with the residence online meetings to find out about:
- new deemed domicile provisions and the tax impact (from 20 March 2018)
- the changes to the anti-avoidance provisions for non-resident trusts and the impact on non-domiciled and deemed domiciled individuals
- demystifying certificates of residence for limited companies (from 28 February 2018)
- domicile, relevant income, Capital Gains Tax and the impact of new reforms (from 3 February 2017)
- double taxation for individuals with dual residency (from 14 October 2016)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 1 to 3 (from 2 August 2017)
- the Statutory Residence Test - cases 4 to 8 (from 2 August 2017)
Catch up with the Simple Assessment online meeting from 19 October 2017 to find out about the new system.
Automatic pension enrolment
Catch up with the automatic enrolment online meetings to find out:
National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage
Catch up with the National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage online meeting from 14 March 2016 to find out about the:
- National Living Wage
- impact of the National Living Wage on businesses
- National Minimum Wage
Catch up with the National Minimum Wage online meeting from 21 September 2017 to find out common errors made by employers.
Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
Catch up with the PAYE online meeting from 19 July 2017 to find out:
- how PAYE has changed
- why PAYE has changed
- who’s affected by these changes
Catch up with the payroll online meeting from 26 May 2017 to find out:
- how to run payroll
- the benefits of payroll
- about the statutory framework
- how to deduct tax on benefits and taxable expenses through PAYE
Catch up with the tax codes online meetings to find out:
- about changes to how tax codes are calculated (from 4 September 2017)
- how estimated pay, third party information and Real Time Information data will influence codes (from 7 July 2017)
- how adjustments in tax codes for state benefits are calculated (from 20 June 2017)
What’s new for employers 2018
Catch up with the what’s new online meeting from 27 March 2018 for an overview of the employer payroll changes from 2018, including:
- the change to the Income Tax basic personal allowance and the rates of tax for the new tax year
- the thresholds for Class 1 National Insurance
- expenses and benefits for employees, including fuel benefit charge for company cars, van and fuel benefit
- the new rates for Statutory Payments
- National Living and National Minimum wage rates
- other changes that may affect your clients’ business
Catch up with the 2-step verification online meeting from 21 February 2017 to find out:
- what business identity verification is
- how to set up business identity verification
- what 2-step verification is
- how to set up 2-step verification
Application Programming Interface (API)
Catch up with the API online meeting from 18 August 2017 to find out more about APIs and tax software for agents.
Catch up with the cyber hygiene online meeting from 9 March 2018 to find out:
- what cyber hygiene is
- how it can benefit you
- how it helps towards protecting you against the latest emerging cyber threats
Catch up with the cyber security online meeting from 11 September 2017 to find out:
- types of cyber crime
- about the Cyber Aware campaign
- how to recognise and avoid cyber crime
- how to report cyber crime
Making Tax Digital for Business
Catch up with the Income Tax pilot online meeting from 26 April 2018 to find out about the Making Tax Digital for Business Income Tax pilot and how to setup your agent services account.
Catch up with the Making Tax Digital for Business online meeting from 6 March 2018 to find out what you need to do to help your clients prepare for the change and how to get involved in the pilot.
Catch up with the trusts online meeting from 17 November 2017 about the new trust registration service.
Dealing with HMRC
Agent Account Managers (AAMs)
Catch up with the AAMs online meeting from 1 June 2016 to find out:
- the benefits of the AAMs service
- how to register
- how to submit an issue
- examples of common issues
Agent forum and the role of the Issues Overview Group (IOG)
Catch up with the agent forum online meeting from 21 November 2017 to find out about the operation of the online agent forum and the role of the IOG, which is made up of representatives of the professional bodies.
Catch up with the agent services online meeting from 30 November 2017 to find out about agent access to services and how to set up an agent services account.
Automatic Exchange of Information
Catch up with the Automatic Exchange of Information online meeting from 14 July 2016 to find out:
- about reporting standards
- types of reporting financial institutions
Catch up with the complaints handling in HMRC online meeting from 28 March 2018 to find out about our approach to complaints handling and redress, and the steps we are taking to improve the service we offer.
Catch up with the insolvency online meeting from 21 April 2018 to find out about the role HMRC as a creditor in voluntary arrangements.
Catch up with the payment online meetings to find out about:
- the removal of the Post Office Transcash service (from 27 November 2017)
- reducing cheque payments and withdrawing payable orders (from 11 July 2017)
Requirement to Correct and other offshore tax developments
Catch up with this online meeting from 23 January 2018 to find out how HMRC are planning to reduce offshore non-compliance and get taxpayers to disclose more information.
Catch up with the tax avoidance online meetings to find out:
- about common issues that have been raised relating to disguised remuneration (1 May 2018)
- about disguised remuneration and how to settle your tax affair if you’re an employer (from 30 January 2018)
- about Disguised Remuneration and how to settle if you’re in a contractor loan Scheme (from 6 February 2018)
- guidance for insolvency professionals and dealing with potential tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- about common issues in insolvency proceedings involving tax avoidance (from 7 February 2017)
- about how to break out of the tax avoidance cycle (from 22 September 2017)
Catch up with the admitting Tax fraud online meeting from 21 February 2018 to find out how agents can help HMRC tackle tax fraud.
Worldwide Disclosure Facility
Catch up with the Worldwide Disclosure Facility online meeting from 31 August 2017 to find out how and when to use it.
Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)
Catch up with the ATED online meeting from 11 April 2017 to find out:
- what the service is
- the benefits of it
- how to set up your agency for the service
Income Tax relief on property
Catch up with the income from property online meeting from 8 December 2017 to find out about:
Option to tax
Catch up with the latest option to tax online meeting from 5 April 2018 to find out about how an Option to Tax can impact input tax recovery.
Use agent toolkits to help you understand how to submit accurate returns to HMRC. They include checklists which you can use to avoid common errors.
Catch up with the agent toolkits online meeting from 15 November 2017 to find out how the toolkits work.
Catch up on the agent toolkits consultation online meeting to see the proposed new design from 1 March 2018.