Greece: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Greece.

Read this page in combination with the guidance for EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

The authoritative source for Greek market regulations is the Greek government. This guidance links to official Greek sources wherever possible.

Greek trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business offering services in Greece, you must follow Greek regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Greek e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • learn about providing services in Greece
  • understand local regulations
  • complete any relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Greece to help you comply with specific regulations. You can also contact your local chamber of commerce for advice.

To check if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

To use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to EU consumers, businesses need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in Greece

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Greece or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you’re a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Greece, contact the Greek Plenary of Bar Associations for further information on the implications for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on travel to Europe.

The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Greek Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (website in Greek) have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

UK nationals already residing in Greece have access to the labour market on condition they have a valid registration certificate. This is according to provisions of Law 4604/2019 (see UK citizens in Greece for further information).

Social security payments for employees

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Greece.

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do in Greece, read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Greece, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Greece

For UK statutory auditors, the Hellenic Accounting and Auditing Standards Oversight Board should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Greece

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Greece, either using a Greek or a UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Greek Plenary of Bar Associations for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from Finland to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work with organisations in Finland who transfer personal data to you to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

Read guidance on using data in your personal business or other organisation.

Published 28 February 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated the following sections to reflect the changes created by the UK and EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement: overview, trade regulations, VAT on sales of digital services, business travel and entry requirements, social security payments for employees, recognition of professional qualifications, and data transfer and GDPR.

  2. Guidance for ‘Recognition of professional qualifications’ and ‘Social security payments for employees’ updated.

  3. Change to title to include travelling for business

  4. Update to 'Business travel and entry requirements' section

  5. First published.