Get your EEA qualification recognised in the UK after Brexit

How professional qualifications obtained in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland will be recognised in the UK after Brexit.

Stay up to date

The UK is leaving the EU. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit and will be updated if anything changes.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

This guidance is about getting an EEA or Swiss qualification recognised in the UK. There’s different guidance if you need to get a UK qualification recognised in the EEA or Switzerland.

You’ll need to have your professional qualification officially recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in the UK. It will need to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for your profession. You’ll need to do this even if you’re providing temporary or occasional professional services.

Professionals already working in the UK

You don’t have to do anything if your qualification has already been officially recognised by the relevant regulator in the UK. The regulator’s decision to recognise your qualification will remain valid after the UK leaves the EU.

Start working in the UK

The UK will still recognise EEA and Swiss qualifications which are of an equivalent standard to UK qualifications.

Check the UK list of regulated professions to find out if your profession is regulated.

Then contact the relevant UK regulator, to find out how to get your professional qualification recognised.

Some professions have separate regulators in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Make sure you contact the appropriate regulator for where you want to work.

Applications made before Brexit will be completed under the pre-Brexit rules where possible. This will be the case even if they are not completed before the UK leaves the EU.

Architects, auditors and lawyers

There are different rules if you’re an architect, an auditor or a lawyer.

Find out what to do if you’re an architect
Find out what to do if you’re an auditor
Find out what to do if you’re a lawyer

Published 12 October 2018