Full list of local restriction tiers by area
This page sets out the full list of local restriction tiers by area from 31 December.
Applies to England
Decisions on which area goes into which tier are primarily based on 5 key epidemiological indicators:
- case detection rates in all age groups
- case detection rates in the over-60s
- the rate at which cases are rising or falling
- positivity rate (the number of positive cases detected as a percentage of tests taken)
- pressure on the NHS
The indicators are designed to provide a full picture of what is happening with the virus in any area so that suitable action can be taken.
Each bullet point on this list constitutes an ‘area’ for the purposes of guidance.
Find out more information on tiers, including what you can and cannot do in each tier.
Tier 1: Medium alert
- Isles of Scilly
Tier 2: High alert
No areas are currently in Tier 2.
Tier 3: Very High alert
- Liverpool City Region
- Bath and North East Somerset
- Devon, Plymouth and Torbay
- North Somerset
- South Gloucestershire
- Shropshire, and Telford and Wrekin
Yorkshire and The Humber
- City of York and North Yorkshire
- The Humber: East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull/Hull, North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire
- South Yorkshire (Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotheram, Sheffield)
- West Yorkshire (Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, Wakefield)
Tier 4: Stay at Home
- Derby and Derbyshire
- Leicester City and Leicestershire
- Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
East of England
- Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes
- Essex, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock
- All 32 London boroughs plus City of London
- North East Combined Authority (this area includes the local authorities of County Durham, Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland)
- North of Tyne Combined Authority (this area includes the local authorities of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside and Northumberland)
- Tees Valley Combined Authority (this area includes the local authorities of Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton-on-Tees)
- Greater Manchester
- Lancashire, Blackburn with Darwen, and Blackpool
- Warrington and Cheshire Region
- Brighton and Hove, East Sussex and West Sussex
- Hampshire, Southampton and Portsmouth
- Isle of Wight
- Kent and Medway
- Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
- Gloucestershire (Cheltenham, Cotswold, Forest of Dean, Gloucester City, Stroud and Tewkesbury)
- Somerset (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, and South Somerset)
- Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Last updated 4 January 2021 + show all updates
Updated list after areas moved tiers on 31 December.
Update to areas that will be moving tiers on Thursday 31 December.
Updated list after areas moved tiers on 26 December.
Update to areas that will be moving tiers on 26 December.
Updated locations within Tiers.
Updated to reflect movement of areas between tiers that took effect at 00:01 on Saturday 19 December.
Updated to reflect movement of areas between tiers.
Updated with areas that will move into Tier 3 from 16 December.