Proficiency testing (PT), also known as external quality assessment (EQA), allows the introduction of samples of known but undisclosed content into a laboratory’s routine testing procedure.
Proficiency testing (PT):
- provides staff with an insight into their laboratory’s performance
- provides a comparison of performance with that of other laboratories, nationally and internationally
- improves the standard of examinations
- identifies areas where there may be problems
- demonstrates to clients, colleagues and accreditation bodies that there is a commitment to quality
- educates staff, providing a better understanding of the impact of incorrect results