European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF): UK Managing Authority (UKMA)
Learn about how the UK Managing Authority (UKMA) manage the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF).
Articles 17 to 20 of the EMFF regulation (REGULATION (EU) No 508/2014) require member states to produce an ‘operational programme’ for the EMFF. This shows how they intend to spend the money and it has to be approved by the European Commission (EC). You can view an approved copy of the Operational Programme.
Funding is available to the devolved administrations (Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales) according to the EC’s priorities for the fund. This allows the devolved administrations to manage their own projects. The allocations are split between core funding, control funding and data collection framework funding, approximate figures are shown below:
Core funding in millions (for projects needing EMFF support
Control funding in millions (for control and enforcement activity
Data Collection Framework in millions (to deliver the data collection work programme
Total in millions
The MMO acts as the managing authority for the UK on behalf of Defra. The Managing Authority makes sure the devolved administrations are on track to deliver the operational programme.
- manage the operational programme; this is the UK’s plan for how we will spend the money, which has been agreed by the European Commission
- make sure projects selected for EMFF funds are eligible for funding, help deliver the operational programme and fall within the scope of the Fund(s) concerned
- confirm that funded projects have delivered and that the applicant them self has paid for the work undertaken
- make sure computerised systems are in place to record and store all data relating to each application for EMFF funding.
- ensuring data is collected to support effective management of the fund, including performance monitoring of the devolved administrations
- set up procedures to make sure there is a proper audit trail and that the certifying and audit authorities have all necessary information about funding paid
- guide the work of the UK Programme Monitoring Committee and provide members with quarterly updates relating to the progress of the operational programme. The UK Programme Monitoring Committee oversees implementation of the operational programme.
- comply with the European Commission’s information and publicity requirements
The UKMA also have reporting responsibilities, these include:
- reporting to the Commission with annual and final reports of implementation
- reporting quarterly to the Programme and Monitoring Committee on the UK’s progress and that of the devolved administrations to ensure transparency
Please read the latest implementation reports: