Types of apprenticeships that you can apply for in the costume and wardrobe sector.
This apprenticeship is for people who want to create successful scenery, props and costumes for performances like plays, musicals, TV and films.
You’ll work with artistic directors, producers, set designers, technical and lighting departments, as well as designing, altering and sourcing costumes to make sure that costumes accurately represent the period.
You’ll get real experience of working as part of a wardrobe team, seeing a production wardrobe through from initial idea, through development to final costume production.
Types of apprenticeships
There are 2 types of costume and wardrobe apprenticeships.
Intermediate level apprenticeship
You’ll train as a costume/wardrobe assistant which includes:
- making and altering clothes for actors and assisting them to dress
- helping cutters
- searching for hired costumes and accessories
- helping with cleaning, washing and ironing of costumes
- keeping records of accessories
- helping to source costumes, materials and equipment
Advanced level apprenticeship
You’ll train as an assistant costume/wardrobe manager which includes:
- researching the type of clothes and accessories worn for a production
- attending meetings with the artistic director, producer, set designer and technical and lighting departments
- assisting with presentation of design ideas to the production team
- briefing and monitoring the team
- supporting the making and finishing of costumes