Civilian Service Medal: Afghanistan
The medal is awarded to civilians in recognition of their contribution to the government’s work towards a stable and secure Afghanistan.
Civilians carry out a vast range of work, including work on diplomacy, policing and justice, to complement the military efforts in Afghanistan.
You may be eligible for the Civilian Service Medal, as a UK or foreign national, if you:
- served in Afghanistan with or in support of the British Embassy Kabul or the Provincial Reconstruction Team Helmand (including forward operating bases) or alongside Coalition or multinational forces
- aren’t eligible for the Operational Service Medal Afghanistan or the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal
- meet the qualifying period
You can apply as a:
- Crown servant, including members of the UK armed forces, under operational control of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
- person holding the office of Constable
- contractor, or their employee, directly employed by the UK government on a full-time basis to work for, or in support of, any Provisional Reconstruction Team (including forward operating bases) operated by the FCO
The following are ineligible:
- members of the UK armed services under the command of the UK Joint Task Force Commander / Commander Joint Operations
- those serving with an international organisation or foreign government
- all subcontractors not directly under contract to the UK government
- locally employed civilians
The qualifying period for the medal is 30 days continuous service, or 45 days of service on working visits within Afghanistan aggregated over a period of one calendar year, provided that the visits are for a minimum of 48 hours each.
How to apply
FCO staff must submit written verification from their line manager at British Embassy Kabul confirming their deployment role and dates in Afghanistan.
Non-FCO staff must get a letter of support (showing deployment dates and role) from human resources in the government department they worked for in Afghanistan.
Send your completed Civilian Service Medal (Afghanistan) application form (MS Word Document, 45.5KB) to: CSMA@fco.gov.uk.
The Civilian Service Medal (Afghanistan) Command Paper (PDF, 737KB, 7 pages) provides further details on the criteria for eligibility.
The MOD Memorial page recognises the contributions of the UK Armed Forces and all UK citizens who deployed in the Gulf region, Iraq and Afghanistan from 1990-2015.