Training and continuing professional development (CPD) for people working in the NHS cervical screening programme (CSP) in England.
This guide sets out education and training resources available to healthcare professionals working in the NHS cervical screening programme (CSP).
E-learning developed by the NHS screening programmes is available on the e-Learning for Healthcare (e-LfH) website.
E-learning for GPs
Complete the British Medical Journal’s screening for cervical cancer module to learn about:
- how to advise women worried about cervical cancer
- what information to give women
- how to advise women who have questions about the NHS cervical screening programme
Physicians: video learning modules
Watch 4 medical animations for health professionals showing cervical anatomy and the development of cervical cancer.
Cervical sample taker training
Download presentations for each of the training modules within the publication.
Primary human papillomavirus (HPV) testing: pilot site sample taker training
The NHS CSP is piloting primary HPV testing.
Resources are available to train sample takers working in pilot sites. These include a:
- primary HPV testing leaflet for sample takers
- training presentation on primary HR-HPV testing and cytology triage
- flowchart of the pilot protocol
- flowchart of the colposcopy management system for women having primary HPV testing
- primary HPV testing screening invitation letter sent to women
- primary HPV testing information leaflet sent to women with their invitation
- cervical screening leaflet ‘Helping you decide’
Cervical cytology training
There are 5 NHS CSP approved cervical cytology training centres. 4 in England and 1 in Scotland.
Birmingham Women's Hospital
Unit 3, Wakefield Office Village
Ground Floor, Clinical Sciences Building 2
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Level 6X, Room 005
St Marks Building
The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust
Northwick Park Hospital
Department of Cellular Pathology
Pathology Sciences Building
1st Floor, Building 9
9 Little France Road
Old Dalkeith Road
Education and training: all programmes
Read and download education and training resources for all screening programmes.
- the screening timeline
Health Knowledge: screening overview
The interactive learning on screening available from Health Knowledge is helpful for new and non clinical staff or those returning after a long period absent.