Businesses that use F gas as feedstock: record keeping requirements

Find out if you need to keep records and report data to the EU if you use fluorinated greenhouse gases (F gases) as feedstocks.

This guidance was withdrawn on

You’re using a gas as a feedstock if you’re using it as part of a chemical process to create another substance.

Report data

You must report data to the EU for any year that you use 1,000 tonnes or more carbon dioxide equivalent of the following gases:

  • F gases regulated by the EU
  • gases with record keeping requirements under the EU F gas regulation

The 1,000 tonnes carbon dioxide threshold is equal to 700 kg of HFC 134a.

Find out how to calculate the carbon dioxide equivalent weight of other F gases.

Data you must report

You must report the quantity of each gas you used as feedstock.

How to send reports

Submit reports through the F gas portal on the European Commission website.

You’ll need to register for a European Commission account to access the F gas portal if you don’t already have one.

You must send your data by 31 March of the following year. For example, you must send data about 2014 by 31 March 2015.

HFC phase down

The EU is cutting the availability of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), which are a type of F gas, by 79% between 2015 and 2030.

HFCs used as feedstocks are exempt from the phase down.

The HFCs that are part of the phase down are listed in section 1 of the table of F gases regulated by the EU.

Find out more about the HFC phase down.

Published 31 December 2014