Automatic Exchange of Information: financial institutions

How Automatic Exchange of Information may apply to financial institutions, what to report and how to submit the information.


Automatic Exchange of Information agreements mean that financial institutions (such as banks) must review the accounts they maintain and report certain account holders to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) every year.

All references to Automatic Exchange of Information include United States Foreign Account Tax Compliance (FATCA), Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories and the Common Reporting Standard.

Automatic Exchange of Information applies if you are a UK financial institution and are resident in the UK or any part of a non-resident financial institution located in the UK.

There are 4 categories of financial institutions.

Private individual accounts with more than one owner

Individual accounts with more than one owner (such as husband and wife joint accounts) should be reported separately.

Entity level reporting

Each entity is treated as a single financial institution and you are responsible for submitting your yearly return.

One member of the group is able to register and report for other financial institutions within their group.

Collective investment schemes, such as unit trusts, may report at umbrella or sub-fund level.

Accounts held by overseas entities

You can only report about accounts held in the UK to HMRC.

UK branches of overseas financial institutions report on the accounts they hold.

No accounts to report

Nil returns aren’t normally required but, if you’re in a nil reporting position due to applying the de-minimis $50,000 or $250,000 threshold on pre-existing accounts you should submit a report.

Submit an Automatic Exchange of Information Return

To submit your return, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you submit your return.

You also need to be registered for the Automatic Exchange of Information Online Service.

Find out how to register.

You can submit your return by using HMRC Online Services or the HMRC XML Schema.

Information on the reporting process.


HMRC may charge penalties for non-compliance and late filing.

Further information

More detailed information on financial institutions.

Updates to this page

Published 1 January 2013

Sign up for emails or print this page