Guidance for school leaders, governors, local authorities and academy trusts about managing asbestos in schools and colleges.
This guidance aims to help schools and colleges understand their duties in relation to asbestos management. It should be used alongside more detailed advice, such as the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) duty to manage asbestos guidance and asbestos management checklist for schools (PDF, 56KB).
Duties around asbestos management remain unchanged and are set out in law by HSE in the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012. This guidance provides:
- further clarity on the role of dutyholders and employers
- practical information about what dutyholders are required to do to manage asbestos effectively
- an updated section on what to do if thing go wrong
This advice is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
- responsible bodies (as duty holders)
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- responsible bodies (including diocese)