How to apply for approval for a suitably qualified person (SQP) retailer premises to sell or supply animal medicines.
A suitably qualified person (SQP) is the legal term for an animal medicine advisor who is qualified to prescribe and/or supply certain veterinary medicines under the Veterinary Medicines Regulations.
SQPs can supply veterinary medicines classified POM-VPS that they have prescribed or that have been prescribed by a veterinary surgeon, pharmacist or another appropriately qualified SQP and supply veterinary medicines classified NFA-VPS from:
- premises approved by the VMD as suitable for the storage and supply by an SQP (SQP retailer premises)
- a pharmacy registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, or with the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland
- a veterinary practice premises (VPP) registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Requirements for SQP retailers are set out on the Retail of veterinary medicines page.
Apply for approval of premises to retail supply veterinary medicinal products by SQPs (MS Word Document, 2.35MB)
There is an application fee for approval of SQP retailer premises and an ongoing annual fee.
The application and annual fees are not refundable or transferable.
Return your application form and fee payment to the VMD at the address shown on the form. If you need help completing the form, you can contact the Inspections Administration Team (IAT) by email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 01932 338475 or 338328.
The VMD aims to process application forms within 10 working days of receipt and to inspect premises within a further 30 working days.
Until you receive written confirmation that your premises have been approved you may not buy, store or sell POM-VPS or NFA-VPS veterianry medicines.
Becoming an SQP
Two organisations are responsible for training and registering SQPs. They are:
- the Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority (AMTRA)
- Vet Skill Ltd
Their contact details are:
Woolpit Business Park
Vet Skill Ltd
Unit 1 Headland House
Chord Business Park
Code of Practice for SQPs (PDF, 371KB, 13 pages)
Published: 26 November 2014
Updated: 9 October 2017
- Updated form for the approval of premises for retail supply of veterinary medicines by SQP
- Revised SQP Code of Practice
- To add another body recognised for the registration of SQPs
- First published.