Apply for a waiver letter (WA1)

How to apply for a waiver letter when you are restoring a company using administrative restoration.

Applies to England and Wales


If you are applying for the administrative restoration of a dissolved company, the law says that you must obtain the Crown representative’s written consent. This consent is known as a waiver letter.

Apply for a waiver letter from the Treasury Solicitor

You should apply to the Treasury Solicitor when your company owned any kind of property in England or Wales, and its last registered office was NOT in Cornwall, Lancashire, Merseyside or parts of Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Cumbria, known as the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster.

If your company’s last registered office was in one of these areas, you may need to apply to Farrer and Co. Before you complete any application form for a waiver letter you should carefully check whether the last registered office address was within the areas covered by Farrer and Co.

If your company owned any kind of property in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you will require a waiver letter from the Queen’s and Lord Treasurer’s Remembrancer, Scotland or from the Crown Solicitor’s Office, Northern Ireland.

To apply to the Treasury Solicitor complete application form BVC14:

BVC14 Form V20

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Send the application form to:

Bona Vacantia - Administrative Restoration

Government Legal Department (BVD)
PO Box 2119
CR90 9QU


Switchboard 020 7210 4700

Please use this email address for all enquiries relating to the issuing of the Treasury Solicitor's consent to administrative restoration (waiver letter).

Pay the £64 application costs (no VAT will be charged).

Payment should be made by BACS (including internet banking) or CHAPS. Please use the dissolved company’s name (or as much of the name that you can fit in) as the reference.

Account No. 10004467
Sort Code 60-70-80
Swift Code NWBKGB2L
IBAN GB15NWBK60708010004467
Bank Address NatWest, Government Banking Service, CPB Services, London Corporate Service Centre, 2nd Floor, 280 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4RB
Reference [the dissolved company’s name]

Cheques are no longer accepted.

If the Treasury Solicitor has not dealt with any assets of the company no further costs will usually be payable.

If the Treasury Solicitor has dealt with any assets of the company you should pay his full costs of dealing with those assets before the Treasury Solicitor will issue a waiver letter. He will provide you with a schedule of these costs.

Issuing a waiver letter

The Treasury Solicitor will not issue a waiver letter if one or more of the following applies:

  • incomplete or missing application form
  • incorrect amount paid
  • additional costs not paid

The Treasury Solicitor will issue a waiver letter when:

  • the application form is complete
  • payment has been received
  • there are no outstanding costs

The waiver letter will be issued to the postal address, email address or fax number provided on your form.

The Treasury Solicitor will not send the waiver letter to Companies House for you.

Applications usually take up to 5 (five) working days to process. You don’t need to contact the Treasury Solicitor unless this time period has expired.

Published 6 December 2013
Last updated 24 June 2020 + show all updates
  1. Further amendment to the bank account details.

  2. Minor amendment to departmental bank account details.

  3. Minor amendment to the NI Direct link

  4. Update to waiver form

  5. We have made some minor changes to the application form.

  6. Change to bank details

  7. Amendment to turnaround target - 15 working days down to 5 working days

  8. Policy change - cheques no longer accepted; payment must be made by BACS or CHAPS

  9. First published.