How local authorities should collect and submit admission appeals data from all community and voluntary-controlled schools in their area.
The school admission appeals data collection (also known as APAD) is a statutory data collection that local authorities submit to us every January. You must complete statutory collections by law, unless there’s a good reason not to.
Deadlines for the 2017 collection:
- admission appeals deadline : Thursday 1 September 2016
- survey opens: Monday 9 January 2017
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 20 January 2017
What data to collect and submit
The survey collects information about appeals that parents have asked for (lodged) before 1 September because their child was not admitted to their preferred school.
It only covers community and voluntary-controlled primary and secondary schools (including middle-deemed schools). You must report:
- the total number of lodged appeals
- the total number of heard appeals
- appeal outcomes
Note that if a community and voluntary-controlled school is in the process of converting to an academy, you should only include them if they are still under local authority control on spring school census day (Thursday 19 January 2017).
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’, once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
Our guidance will help you complete the collection:
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘school admission appeals data collection’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 1 December 2016
- Added guidance and important dates for the 2017 school admission appeals data collection.
- Added a link to the 'School admission appeals data collection 2016: COLLECT guide'.
- Added important dates and a link to the guide for the 2016 collection.
- Updated to reflect 2015 survey dates.
- First published.