Statutory guidance for headteachers and local authority assessment co-ordinators assessing and reporting the national curriculum for 2015 to 2016.
For those who may wish to print out the guidance in full, there is also a PDF format version of this publication available.
Please note: in 2016 there will be no requirement to administer the KS1 English grammar, punctuation and spelling test or to use the result as part of that assessment.
Updated version March 2016
Updates reflect the information contained in Clarification: key stage 1 and 2 teacher assessment and moderation guidance, published on 8 March 2016.
If you are already familiar with this guidance, you do not need to re-read it but should refer to the updated sections below:
- section 2.4, 3.2, 8, 8.6 and 11.3 - change of date for submission of TA assessment data
- section 8 and 8.5 - clarification of dates for TA moderation visits
- section 8.2 - clarification of evidence required to support TA judgements
- Section 1: Introduction About the 2016 KS1 ARA and how to use the new manuals format
- Section 2: Key changes A summary of the main changes introduced for 2016
- Section 3: Key dates Dates throughout the 2015 to 2016 assessment cycle
- Section 4: 2016 national curriculum tests Includes information about scaled scores, sample test materials, test frameworks, modified test materials and test orders
- Section 5: Participation in tests How different types of schools participate in the tests, which pupils should take them and details of access arrangements
- Section 6: Test administration About the testing window, keeping materials secure, the headteacher's declaration form (HDF) and reporting results
- Section 7: Phonics screening check A summary of key dates, participation details and administration guidance, including monitoring and reporting
- Section 8: Teacher assessment Includes what teachers must assess, details of the interim frameworks, pupils working below the standard of the national curriculum, moderation and reporting
- Section 9: Reporting to parents Contains information about what reports must cover and reporting on pupils who change schools
- Section 10: Keeping and maintaining records Information on disclosure of educational records and transferring records to a pupil's new school
- Section 11: Legal requirements and responsibilities Includes information about the legal status of ARA, the application of the ARA to different types of school and headteachers' responsibilities