The Science and Innovation Network promotes and facilitates international collaboration in research and innovation.
The Science & Innovation Network (SIN) is jointly funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. SIN works across the entire UK science and innovation landscape supporting UK stakeholders to make international connections, set up strategic collaborations and leverage research and innovation funding, driving global prosperity and growth.
In China we have eighteen staff based in the British Embassy and Consulates in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chongqing.
For an introductory brief which covers the local Science and Innovation landscape, UK priorities and successes in China, read the UK Science and Innovation Network Country Snapshot here.
We work to:
- Create sustainable UK-China research and business platforms;
- Promote UK excellence in science and innovation;
- Establish connections that will deliver growth through commercial opportunities;
- Create an enabling environment for collaboration through policy work.
We have seven priority sectors:
- Agri-tech/food and water security
- Manufacturing and advanced materials
- Energy and environmental technologies
- Space and satellite applications
- Life sciences
- Creative economy
Our staff have developed local knowledge and a network of contacts across these sectors, and across China.
Some examples of our activities include:
- Sector analysis;
- Identifying project funding sources for research, business and government organisations to conduct scoping visits or otherwise develop links with China;
- Supporting UK researchers and universities to strengthen and develop existing links;
- Matchmaking missions for commercial innovators and academics, and follow up support;
- UK-China policy workshops;
- Ministerial and other high level meetings and visits;
- Public engagement events and press work.
SIN also supports the establishment and implementation of the Newton Fund in China. For more information visit http://www.newtonfund.ac.uk/about/about-partnering-countries/China/
SIN China acts as a contact point for British universities, research institutions and innovation agencies, helping them find the right contacts and funding to achieve their objectives in China.
Science and Innovation Network Beijing
British Embassy Beijing, 11 Guanghua Lu, 100600 Beijing, China
Enquiries: +86 (0)10 5192 4000
Science and Innovation Network Shanghai
British Consulate-General Shanghai, 17F Garden Square, 968 West Beijing Road, 200041 Shanghai, China
Enquiries: +86 (0)21 3279 2000
Science and Innovation Network Guangzhou
British Consulate General Guangzhou, 22/F Guangzhou International Finance Center, 5 Zhujiang Road West, Zhujiang New Town, 510623 Guangzhou, China
Enquiries: +86 (0)20 83143000
Science and Innovation Network Chongqing
British Consulate-General Chongqing, 28/F Metropolitan Plaza, 68 Zourong Road, 400010 Chongqing, China
Enquiries: +86 (0)23 6369 1583