Our work in Taiwan contributes significantly to the UK’s prosperity. Taiwan is the world’s 19th largest trading economy. Its high-technology strengths and ongoing national investment programmes present benefits for UK companies.

Taiwan is also an excellent springboard into China for UK companies, as the market here is more developed and Taiwanese business has longstanding expertise working in China (Taiwan was second only to Hong Kong as China’s fourth largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) in 2012, with over 57% of China’s total FDI, and there are around 80,000 Taiwanese companies located in China, accounting for 70% of China’s electronics manufacturing).

UK companies have worked with Taiwanese partners to access the Chinese market. The UK is seen by Taiwan as a world leader in the creative industries, and cultural and educational links are thickening. (30% of all Taiwanese who study overseas do so in the UK). Following the 2009 lifting of the visa regime for visits of under 6 months, Taiwanese tourism to the UK has risen sharply.

One of the British Office’s main aims is to increase business relationships between the UK and Taiwan, working in partnership with UK Trade & Investment. The British Office is publicises commercial opportunities through supporting and organising targeted events and visits.

There are approximately 300 UK companies located in Taiwan, across a variety of sectors. These include financial and business services, ICT, telecommunications, infrastructure, environmental technology, creative industries and marine industries.

Likewise, Taiwanese companies are realising the benefits of setting up in the UK, where they can source the world’s best talent, products, services and technology. Currently over 180 Taiwanese companies have a presence in the UK and are using it as their base for global growth.

Our services

Emergency consular assistance (24 hours)

For emergency assistance, such as in the event of the death, assault, arrest or hospitalisation of a British national, call the British Office on +886 2 8758 2088 and follow the instructions to be connected with consular officers.

Emergency travel documents

We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 48 hours, you should contact the British Office as soon as possible.

For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment using the link below. Please call the British Office for advice before making an appointment if:

  • you have never applied for a British passport before
  • you are applying on behalf of a child

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read What an emergency travel document does.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document at the British Office Taipei.

Passport renewal

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website. Please note that the British Office cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.


Information about applying for a UK visa is on the UK visas and immigration website. Here you will find information on whether you need a visa, the requirements for each visa category, the cost, guidance on how to apply for your visa and a link to information on your nearest visa application centre. Should you need to ask a question about the visa application process or enquire about an ongoing application, you can contact our international visa enquiry service. Staff at the British Office and visa application centres cannot help with visa enquiries.

Births, deaths and marriages

Information on how you can register a birth, death or marriage which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad. The British Office is not an official embassy and cannot register marriages, civil partnerships, births or deaths.

The British Office Taipei no longer accepts applications to register births or deaths which occurred overseas. This service has now transferred to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK.

There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See register a birth or register a death for further information.

Make a true certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need true certified photocopies of British passports.

Please be aware that we cannot provide true certified copies of British or foreign birth certificates, or foreign identity documents nor of any educational qualifications obtained in the UK.

Enquires can be sent to the British Assistance & Services Section by email or you can call +886 2 8758 2088.

You can make an appointment for a certified copy of a British passport.

You will need to bring with you:

  • the original British passport that you need a true certified copy of;
  • proof of identity/address;
  • kindly consider if you would like to make a donation of 200NT for this service which is used to financially assist British Nationals in distress.

List of Lawyers, Translaotors, Medical Professionals & Funeral Directors

A list of English speaking lawyers, translators, interpreters medical professionals and funeral directors who may be able to help you in Taiwan. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Office or the UK government.

Legalisation Office

The British Office does not offer notary services. All UK documents for use in Taiwan, including marriage certificates, certificates of no impediment (aka single certificates) subject access reports (aka police reports) graduation certificates, etc. need to be stamped by a UK lawyer, then by the FCO Legalisation service, then by the Taiwan Representative Office in the UK.

Prisoner pack

Taiwan - Prisoner Pack: explanation of the legal and prison system to British Nationals.

Travel advice for Taiwan

Travel advice for Taiwan: Information, news and updates to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Taiwan.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

What British Office cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Our people

Chris Wood

Chris Wood

Representative, British Office Taipei

Contact us

British Office Taipei

British Office Taipei
26F, President International Tower
No. 9-11, Song Gao Road,

Xin Yin District Taipei 11073

Office hours:
Monday to Friday
9:00am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm (Local Time)
1:00am to 4:30am and 5:30am – 9:00am (GMT)

Access and opening times