We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and South Africa. The High Commission Pretoria covers Lesotho and Swaziland.

We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and South Africa. The High Commission Pretoria and our consulate in Cape Town provide consular assistance to British nationals in South Africa.

Our services


This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.

Births, deaths and marriages

Information on how you can register a birth in South Africa or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Passports and emergency travel documents

Details of how to get a passport extension or emergency child travel document can be found here.

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.

Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.

If you are traveling in the next week and your passport is not available, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document. Call our Consular section for ETD enquiries using the details at the foot of this page.

Travel advice

Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when traveling in South Africa, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.

Living in South Africa

Information for British nationals living in South Africa who need information about services that are not provided by our consulates, but that you may find useful in specific circumstances, including information on what to do if you want to leave South Africa and move to the UK.

Notarial and documentary services

Information on the documents and letters provided at the high commission in South Africa.

Legalisation Service

How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above, for British nationals needing emergency consular assistance, we can:

What consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
  • get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
  • renew or replace a full British passport

Our people

Judith Macgregor CMG, LVO

Judith Macgregor CMG, LVO

British High Commissioner to South Africa

    Contact us

    British High Commission, Pretoria

    British High Commission
    255 Hill Street

    South Africa


    VISA Enquiries: To speak to an adviser calls cost £1.37 per minute on top of the cost of the call . Payment will be required by credit or debit card. Acceptable cards are all forms of Visa Credit, Visa Debit, Mastercard Credit, Mastercard Debit and Maestro.


    Access and opening times