The Residence will open to the public on Saturday 19 September 2015 for European Heritage Day.
The British Ambassador’s Residence in Paris, also known as the Hotel de Charost, will be open to the public for European Heritage Day on Saturday 19 September 2015, 10am to 5pm (last entrance at 4pm). Visitors will have access to the ground floor rooms and the garden.
201 years and still going strong
The house was originally designed by Antoine Mazin (c1679-1740) who was also involved with the building of the hôtel Matignon, now the official residence of the prime minister of France. It was built between 1722-25 for the duc de Charost.
In 1803 the house was sold to Pauline Leclerc, Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister. When the First Empire was proclaimed in 1804, Pauline became an imperial Princess and the hôtel de Charost became the centre of a small, but fully-fledged court.
In 1814, the hôtel de Charost was bought by the Duke of Wellington, newly appointed British ambassador to France. The house thus became the first embassy building purchased abroad by a British government.
- Saturday 19 September 2015, from 10am to 5pm (last entrance at 4pm)
- Address: 39 rue du Faubourg St-Honoré, 75008 Paris.
- Metro stations: Concorde (L1, L8, L12) or Madeleine (L8, L12, L14).
- The parts of the house open to the public will be fully accessible to wheelchairs.
- Check our “Access and opening times” page for further information.