The Residence will open to the public on Saturday 14 September 2013.
The Hôtel de Charost will open to the public for the official “Journées du Patrimoine” on Saturday 14 September 2013 only, 10am to 4:30pm. There will be free access to the ground floor rooms and the garden.
History of the Hôtel de Charost
The house was originally designed by Antoine Mazin (c1679-1740) who was also involved with the building of the hôtel Matignon, now the official residence of the prime minister of France. It was built between 1722-25 for the duc de Charost.
In 1803 the house was sold to Pauline Leclerc, Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister. When the First Empire was proclaimed in 1804, Pauline became an imperial Princess and the hôtel de Charost became the centre of a small, but fully-fledged court.
In 1814, the hôtel de Charost was bought by the Duke of Wellington, newly appointed British ambassador to France. The house thus became the first embassy building purchased abroad by a British government
- Saturday 14 September, from 10am to 4:30pm
- Address: 39 rue du Faubourg St-Honoré, 75008 Paris.
- Metro stations: Concorde (L1, L8, L12) or Madeleine (L8, L12, L14).
- Access for disabled visitors: wheelchair access to the house is available via a lift in the courtyard. Wheelchair access to the garden is available via a ramp from the ballroom.
Check our our “Access and opening times” page for further information.
Visit British Embassy Paris Flickr gallery for pictures of the Residence.