- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- Social housing sales (including Right to Buy and transfers), Homebuying, and Live tables on social housing sales
- 16 October 2014
- Applies to:
Statistics on the number of sales of existing social housing stock in England for 2013 to 2014.
Ref: ISBN 9781409843566 PDF, 428KB, 16 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This statistical release presents national statistics on the number of sales of existing social housing stock in England for 2013 to 2014.
It is different to its ‘sister publication’ Right to Buy sales in England as this publication includes information on sales by local authorities and private registered providers – not just local authorities. It includes other schemes and types of sale than the Right to Buy scheme and contains annual rather than quarterly statistics.
Key points from the release are:
- in 2013 to 2014 there were 26,376 sales of social housing dwellings, an increase of 60% compared to 2012 to 2013
- of these 26,376 sales, 11,740 were by local authorities (an increase of 70% on the 2012 to 2013 figure) and 14,636 were by private registered providers (an increase of 50% compared to 2012 to 2013)
- 59% of social housing sales in 2013 to 2014 were through the Right to Buy or Preserved Right to Buy schemes; this is an increase of 8 percentage points compared to 2012 to 2013
- the average discount, as a percentage of market value, of Right to Buy local authority dwellings sold was 47% in 2013 to 2014; 2 years ago this figure was 27%
- the average discount, as a percentage of market value, of Right to Buy registered provider dwellings sold was 52% in 2013 to 2014; 2 years ago this figure was 31%
Published: 16 October 2014