Social housing sales in England: 2012 to 2013
Statistics on the number of sales of existing social housing stock in England for 2012 to 2013.
Ref: ISBN 9781409840411 PDF, 147KB, 16 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This statistical release presents national statistics on the number of sales of existing social housing stock in England for 2012 to 2013.
It is different to its ‘sister publication’ Right to Buy sales in England as this publication includes information on sales by local authorities and private registered providers – not just local authorities, includes other schemes and types of sale than the Right to Buy scheme and contains annual rather than quarterly statistics.
Key points from the release are:
- in 2012 to 2013 there were 16,659 sales of social housing dwellings, an increase of 72% compared to 2011 to 2012
- of these 16,659 sales, 6,739 were by local authorities (more than double the 2011 to 2012 figure) and 9,920 were by private registered providers (an increase of 51% compared to 2011 to 2012)
- local authorities sold 0.40% of their stock in 2012 to 2013, a similar percentage to private registered providers who sold 0.42% of their stock
- 50% of social housing sales in 2012 to 2013 were through the Right to Buy or Preserved Right to Buy schemes; this is an increase of 12 percentage points compared to 2011 to 2012
- the average discount, as a percentage of market value, of Right to Buy local authority dwellings sold was 45% in 2012 to 2013; in 2011 to 2012 this figure was 27%
- the average discount, as a percentage of market value, of Right to Buy registered provider dwellings sold was 50% in 2012 to 2013; in 2011 to 2012 this figure was 31%
These statistics relate to right to buy sales by local authorities and private registered providers. The statistics include sales under the right to buy and preserved right to buy schemes.
Published: 10 October 2013