- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Maritime and shipping statistics, Maritime sector, Red ensign group registered vessels (FLE04), World fleet registered vessels (FLE05), All United Kingdom Group Beneficial Owned vessels (FLE06) All United Kingdom managed vessels (FLE07), Trading fleets and ships (FLE01), and UK owned vessels (FLE02)
- 27 August 2014
Report on the UK and world shipping fleets in 2013.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This release presents summary statistics on UK and world shipping fleets in 2013.
The ‘UK fleet’ has experienced substantial growth between the late 1990s (the previous low point) up until around 2008 (the UK recession). Between 2008 and 2013, the UK fleet reduced on average by 1% each year, with the exception of UK parent owned vessels which fell by 27%.
At the end of 2013 there were:
- 500 UK registered trading vessels (13% less than in 2012) and totalling 13.6 million gross tons and 15.2 deadweight million tonnes respectively
- 655 UK direct owned trading vessels, totalling 19.2 million gross tons, or 20.6 million deadweight tons
- 789 UK parent owned trading vessels, totalling 22.3 million gross tons and 29.4 million deadweight
- 1,111 UK managed trading ships, totalling 45.9 million gross tons or 59.6 million deadweight tons
Maritime and shipping statistics
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 2403
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 2403
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 4163
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 4863
Published: 27 August 2014
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Maritime and shipping statistics Maritime sector Red ensign group registered vessels (FLE04) World fleet registered vessels (FLE05) All United Kingdom Group Beneficial Owned vessels (FLE06) All United Kingdom managed vessels (FLE07) Trading fleets and ships (FLE01) UK owned vessels (FLE02)