Shipping fleet statistics: 2011
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Maritime and shipping statistics, Maritime sector, Trading fleets and ships (FLE01), Red ensign group registered vessels (FLE04), World fleet registered vessels (FLE05) All United Kingdom Group Beneficial Owned vessels (FLE06), All United Kingdom managed vessels (FLE07), and UK owned vessels (FLE02)
- 20 September 2012
This publication presents summary statistics on UK and world shipping fleets, updated annually.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This publication presents summary statistics on UK and world shipping fleets, updated annually. Data are generally updated simultaneously with releases in the port freight statistics series.
- There were 730 UK owned trading vessels, totalling 20.5 million gross tons, or 22.5 million deadweight tons. Of these 730 vessels, 162 were tankers, 140 were ro-ro vessels, 114 were container ships and 78 were bulk carriers.
- 930 trading vessels were UK parent owned, totalling 27.2 million gross tons and 35.2 million deadweight.
- 1,228 trading ships were UK managed, totalling 49.4 million gross tons or 63.8 million deadweight tons.
- All three of these fleets, as well as the UK Registered fleet, have grown substantially over the previous decade. However, growth has generally levelled off over the last 2-3 years, and the size of the UK parent owned fleet declined after 2008, although it partly recovered in 2011.
- The world trading fleet at the end of 2011 consisted of over 55,000 vessels, totalling 983 million gross tons, or 1.47 billion tons deadweight.
Information on shipping fleet statistics, including the pre-release access list, and related technical documentation can be found here.
- Phone: 020 7944 4119
Published: 20 September 2012
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Maritime and shipping statistics Maritime sector Trading fleets and ships (FLE01) Red ensign group registered vessels (FLE04) World fleet registered vessels (FLE05) All United Kingdom Group Beneficial Owned vessels (FLE06) All United Kingdom managed vessels (FLE07) UK owned vessels (FLE02)