Statistics on civilian search and rescue helicopter activity in the United Kingdom, based on details of taskings recorded by the the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC).
We are currently reviewing the status of these statistics and would welcome feedback from users, which can be provided by completing our short feedback survey or contacting the search and rescue helicopter statistics team.
Currently these statistics are labelled as ‘experimental’, which is a designation used for statistics that are in the testing phase. However, we are confident that the statistics are now established and propose to remove the experimental labelling for future releases.
In October to December 2017:
- there were 523 civilian SARH taskings
- Prestwick base was the busiest of the 10 bases, responding to 75 taskings
- around 46% of taskings involved rescue or recovery
- land-based taskings accounted for 54% of all taskings
- there were 329 people rescued across all taskings