Statistics on civilian search and rescue helicopter (SARH) activity in the United Kingdom, based on details of taskings recorded by the the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC).
During April to June 2018:
- there were 683 civilian SARH taskings.
- Newquay base was the busiest of the 10 bases, responding to 104 taskings
- 58% of taskings involved rescue or recovery.
- land and coastal based taskings accounted for 48% and 37% of all taskings respectively.
- there were 461 people rescued and 38 people assisted across all taskings
- 134 (20%) taskings took place in mountainous areas
- 154 (23%) in beach and cliff areas
- 103 (15%) tasked to vessels in distress
Notes and guidance
Notes and definitions and guidance about quality of these statistics are available.
Explore the data via our interactive search and rescue helicopter statistics dashboard covering SARH taskings from April 2015 onwards. This includes data on the Portland base which ceased operation on 30 June 2017.