Seafarer statistics for the number of seafarers active at sea in 2013.
This statistical release provides estimates for the number of UK seafarers active at sea, including demographic analysis. The release covers some statistics on non-UK seafarers who are qualified to work on UK registered vessels. These statistics are updated annually and reflect numbers as at the end of June 2013.
- the total number of UK seafarers active at sea was estimated to be 22,830.
- there was a 5% decrease in the total number of UK seafarers active at sea between 2012 and 2013. This occurred principally due to a decline in the number of ratings (an 8% decline) and a decline in the number of uncertificated officers by 270 (a 16% decline).
- there were 10,840 UK officers active at sea, down 1% compared to 2012 and still following the downward trend seen since 2006.
- the number of UK ratings fell for the second consecutive year to 8,590, an 8% annual fall. The number of ratings steadily increased between 2007 and 2011, with a 46% rise over the four years.
- there were 1,990 officer cadets in training, the highest level for over a decade. This was a 5% increase since 2011 to 2012 and a 99% increase from 10 years ago in 2002 to 2003.
- there were 780 new entrants under the SMarT1 scheme in the financial year 2012 to 2013.
Maritime and shipping statistics enquiries
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 3052
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 3717
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 3052
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 3052