Reference Id: OSR33/2010
Publication Type: Statistical Release
Publication data: Underlying Statistical data
Local authority data: LA data
Release date: 30 November 2010
Coverage status: final
Publication status: published
This statistical release (SR) updates with final information, the provisional data that was previously published on 19 October 2010. It is based on information collected from local authorities as part of the School Capacity 2010 collection. It includes national and local authority level information for local authority maintained primary and secondary schools i.e. on the number of school places, the number of schools exceeding school capacity (and the number of pupils within these schools) and the number of surplus places. Information on the number of places in academies is also included in this release (collected directly from academies) and will be presented at school level.
We will also publish, for the first time, information on pupil forecasts. Data on pupil forecasts are collected from local authorities as part of the school capacity collection. In the past these data have not been routinely published but were used for planning purposes.
The key points from the latest release are:
Maintained primary schools
Of the 16,964 local authority maintained primary schools, there were:
- 3,444 schools, 20.3%, that were full or had pupils in excess of school capacity, compared to 19.8% in 2009.
- 13,520 schools, 79.7%, with surplus places, compared to 80.2% in 2009.
There were 4,227,530 school places, and there were:
- 41,680 pupils, 1.0%, in excess of school capacity, compared to 0.9% in 2009.
- 458,430 surplus places, 10.8%, compared to 11.4% in 2009.
Maintained Secondary Schools
Of the 3,122 local authority maintained secondary schools, there were:
- 916 schools, 29.3%, that were full or had pupils in excess of school capacity, compared to 28.7 in 2009.
- 2,206 schools, 70.7%, with surplus places, compared to 71.3% in 2009.
There were 3,330,670 school places, and there were:
- 54,260 pupils, 1.6%, in excess of school capacity, compared to 1.7% in 2009.
- 303,750 surplus places, 9.1%, compared to 9.1% in 2009.
The PDF and tables were revised on 10/12/2010 to include additional information in the technical notes about pupil forecasts and also to include some amendments to the footnotes in tables 5 and 6.
Andrew Clarke - Schools Statistical Team