Innovation statistics for rural and urban areas.
The Department for Business Innovation & Skills define innovation activity where enterprises have been engaged in any of the following:
- Introduction of a new or significantly improved product (good or service) or process;
- Engagement in innovation projects not yet complete or abandoned;
- New and significantly improved forms of organisation, business structures or practices and marketing concepts or strategies;
- Activities in areas such as internal research and development, training, acquisition of external knowledge or machinery and equipment linked to innovation activities.
- businesses engaged in broader innovation
Data source: BIS Innovation survey
Rural classification used: Office for National Statistics Rural Urban Classification
Next release date: tbc
Published: 24 May 2011
Updated: 21 July 2016
- We’ve changed how we’ve organised rural statistics and updated the content following Lord Cameron’s review of rural proofing.
- Latest rural innovation statistics released.
- 2011 innovation survey rural-urban analysis.
- First published.