Road freight and foreign heavy goods vehicle activity statistics in the UK for January to March 2011.
Quarterly statistics on the domestic and international road freight activity of UK hauliers and of foreign hauliers in UK.
The statistics is based on results from the following 3 continuous surveys administered by the Department for Transport:
- Continuing Survey of Road Goods Transport Great Britain (CSRGT GB)
- Continuing Survey of Road Goods Transport Northern Ireland (CSRGT NI)
- International Road Haulage Survey (IRHS)
Statistics on foreign hauliers in the UK are derived from data supplied to Eurostat by EU-27 countries.
The data is provisional and will be finalised in an annual road freight statistics publication in 2013.
Between January to March 2011:
- goods moved by UK HGVs in the UK increased by 6% to over 37 billion tonne kilometres
- domestic freight activity trends for the UK in recent years broadly mirror those in 3 of the 4 other largest EU economies
- there were 1.3 million tonnes of road freight exported from the UK by UK-registered vehicles. This was an increase of 9% compared to January to March 2010. There was a similar weight of goods imported (1.4 million tonnes)
- there were about 1 billion tonne kilometres of cabotage by foreign hauliers in the UK. Levels of cabotage reported by EU-27 countries in the UK have declined in recent years. The level was 44% lower than in 2005
Road freight statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 3903