The main focus of these reports is on domestic activity of Great Britain registered heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), the international activity of United Kingdom registered HGVs and the United Kingdom activity of foreign-registered HGVs. Also summarises a number of economic, environmental and safety statistics about the road freight industry.
For domestic road freight statistics:
- between 2013 and 2014, the amount of goods lifted by Great Britain registered heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) operating in the UK increased by 1% to 1.49 billion tonnes
- over the same period, the amount of goods moved decreased by 2% to 136 billion tonne kilometres and the distance travelled by HGVs in the UK decreased by 2% to 16.9 billion vehicle kilometres
For international road freight statistics:
- for the first time since 2000, more goods have been moved by road from the UK than to it
- 1 out of every 3 tonnes of goods lifted by road were between the UK and France
- foreign HGV cabotage accounted for just 1% of road freight activity within the UK
Domestic road freight statistics publication content review
Alongside releasing the 2013 road freight statistics publications in February 2015, an exercise gathering feedback via a publication user questionnaire was conducted. The user feedback was intended to then be used to make changes to the publication to better meet user needs.
The user questionnaire was published online on the road freight statistics 2011 to 2013 page, so that all users had the opportunity to provide feedback.
The questionnaire focused on the following areas:
- frequency with which the publication was used
- sections of the publication and tables that were useful
- reasons why publication was used and other sources of freight data
- extent to which the publication met user needs
- suggested improvements
This publication summarises the results of this consultation.