Right to Buy sales in England: October to December 2013
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- Social housing sales (including Right to Buy and transfers), Homebuying, and Live tables on social housing sales
- 27 February 2014
- Applies to:
Official statistics on the number of sales of dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme.
Ref: ISBN 9781409841616 PDF, 489KB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
This statistical release presents official statistics on the number of sales of dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme, as well as providing statistics on receipts resulting from those sales, and starts on site as part of the one-for-one replacements. The Right to Buy scheme allows some social housing tenants to buy their house at a reduced price and has been in place since 1980.
These statistics relate only to sales by local authorities under the Right to Buy scheme, excluding sales by registered providers under preserved Right to Buy. Figures are collected from local authority returns to the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Main points from the latest release are:
- in 2013 to 2014 - October to December (quarter 3), local authorities sold an estimated 2,845 dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme; this is 42% higher than the 2,010 sold in the same quarter of 2012 to 2013
- local authorities in London accounted for 28% of sales in 2013 to 2014 quarter 3, this is the highest percentage recorded from 2006 to 2007 quarter 1, since when quarterly statistics are available
- the 10,306 dwellings sold in the year January 2013 to December 2013 compares to 4,060 dwellings sold in the calendar year 2012
Receipts and starts on site
- in 2013 to 2014 quarter 3, local authorities received approximately £196 million from Right to Buy sales, 57% higher than the £125 million in the same quarter of 2012 of 2013
- the average receipt per dwelling in 2013 to 2014 quarter 3 was £69,000; this compares to £62,000 in the same quarter of 2012 to 2013
- there were 393 dwellings started on site or acquired in 2013 to 2014 quarter 3, 3 times the 129 starts on site recorded in the same quarter of 2012 to 2013
Published: 27 February 2014