Right to Buy sales in England: Jan to March 2013
Official statistics on the number of sales of dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme.
Ref: ISBN 9781409838951 PDF, 479KB, 9 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This statistical release presents official statistics on the number of sales of dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme, as well as providing statistics on receipts resulting from those sales, and starts on site as part of the one-for-one replacements. The Right to Buy scheme allows some social housing tenants to buy their house at a reduced price and has been in place since 1980.
These statistics relate only to sales by local authorities under the Right to Buy scheme, excluding sales by registered providers under preserved Right to Buy. Figures are collected from local authority returns to the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Key points from the latest release are:
- in 2012 to 2013 quarter 4, local authorities sold an estimated 2,449 dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme; this is over 4 times the 566 sold in the same quarter in the previous year
- in 2012 to 2013, local authorities sold an estimated 5,942 dwellings under the Right to Buy scheme; this is more than twice the 2,638 sold in 2011 to 2012
- the 2012 to 2013 annual total comprises of 443 sales in quater 1, 1,041 sales in quarter 2, 2,009 sales in quarter 3 and 2,449 sales in quarter 4
Receipts and starts on site
- in 2012 to 2013 quarter 4 local authorities received approximately £158 million from Right to Buy sales, while 465 dwellings were started on site or acquired
- in the whole of 2012 to 2013 local authorities received approximately £368 million from Right to Buy sales, while 844 dwellings were started on site or acquired
Published: 16 May 2013