A summary of the latest provisional quarterly statistics on freight handled by major UK sea ports. Detailed final annual statistics for 2015 will be published in August 2016.
When comparing July to September 2015 with July to September 2014:
- the total freight tonnage at UK major ports remained relatively unchanged at 120.1 million tonnes
- tonnage outward increased by 5% to 43.4 million tonnes, returning to the same level as in the third quarter of 2013
- the total unitised traffic increased by 1% to 6.7 million units. Since the fall in 2012, the general trend in total unitised freight has been upward
When comparing the 4 quarters ending September 2015 with the 4 quarters ending September 2014:
- major port freight traffic decreased by 1% to 485.4 million tonnes compared with the previous 4 quarters
- major port unitised traffic in the UK increased by 3% to 23.1 million units, continuing the upward trend of recent years