- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Maritime and shipping statistics, Maritime sector, and Traffic, indices and quarterly breakdowns (PORT05)
- 16 December 2015
Provisional quarterly statistics on freight handled at UK ports for July to September 2015.
PDF, 393KB, 7 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
A summary of the latest provisional quarterly statistics on freight handled by major UK sea ports. Detailed final annual statistics for 2015 will be published in August 2016.
When comparing July to September 2015 with July to September 2014:
- the total freight tonnage at UK major ports remained relatively unchanged at 120.1 million tonnes
- tonnage outward increased by 5% to 43.4 million tonnes, returning to the same level as in the third quarter of 2013
- the total unitised traffic increased by 1% to 6.7 million units. Since the fall in 2012, the general trend in total unitised freight has been upward
When comparing the 4 quarters ending September 2015 with the 4 quarters ending September 2014:
- major port freight traffic decreased by 1% to 485.4 million tonnes compared with the previous 4 quarters
- major port unitised traffic in the UK increased by 3% to 23.1 million units, continuing the upward trend of recent years
Maritime and shipping statistics
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 2403
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 2403
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 4163
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 4163
Published: 16 December 2015