Statistics on freight handled by major UK ports.
The latest provisional quarterly statistics on freight handled by major UK sea ports. Provisional annual statistics for all ports are published in June and detailed final annual statistics are published in September. The quarterly statistics is finalised alongside the final annual statistics.
When comparing April to June 2013 with April to June 2012:
- total major port freight traffic (tonnage) remained stable at 125 million tonnes
- inward freight traffic increased for the second consecutive quarter to 82 million tonnes (a 3% increase)
- unitised freight traffic increased both in and out of UK major ports, with an overall increase of 1%. This is first quarter on quarter increase in over two years
For the rolling annual total when comparing the four quarters ending April to June 2013 with the four quarters ending April to June 2012:
- the rolling annual total major port freight fell by 3% to 486 million tonnes. This continues the decline seen throughout 2012 and January to March (quarter 1) 2013
- the rolling annual total of unitised freight traffic fell by 1% compared to the previous four quarters, with 20.8 million units moving through UK major ports
Maritime and shipping statistics
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 2403
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 2403
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 4163
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 3717