Freight handled by UK ports statistics during 2013: estimates have been revised from those published on 27 August 2014.
This statistical release present statistics on freight handled by UK sea ports in 2013.
These statistics have been revised to correct for a small error found in the figures published on 27 August 2014. The original statistics included some under-reporting due to a data supply issue identified though ongoing quality assurance processes.
- total traffic for all UK ports was broadly stable in 2013 at 503.3 million tonnes following a year on year decline in 2012 of 4%
- minor ports tonnage increased by 1% when compared to 2012, up to 11.6 million tonnes following 2 years of decline
- major ports tonnage was steady with 491.8 million tonnes being handled, accounting for 98% of total traffic
- unitised traffic handled at UK major ports rose by 3%, with 21.4 million units coming in and out of the UK - this increase follows 2 years of decline
- the number of main freight units handled by UK major ports rose for the first time since 2010 to 11.9 million units
Maritime and shipping statistics enquiries
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 4892
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 4676
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 4163
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 3717