Households below average income: 1994/95 to 2016/17
Statistics on the number and percentage of people living in low income households for financial years 1994/95 to 2016/17.
This households below average income (HBAI) report presents information on living standards in the United Kingdom year on year from 1994/1995 to 2016/2017.
It provides estimates on the number and percentage of people living in low-income households based on disposable income. Figures are also provided for children, pensioners, working-age adults and individuals living in a family where someone is disabled.
Use our infographic to find out how low income is measured in HBAI.
Most of the figures in this report come from the Family Resources Survey, a representative survey of around 19,000 households in the UK.
We have published all of the data tables in ODS format.
Summary data tables are available on this page, with more detailed analysis available on the following pages:
- all individuals, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- children, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- disability, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- overall distribution of income, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- pensioners, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- uncertainty and commentary, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
- working age, HBAI 1994/1995 to 2016/2017
In response to feedback, we have made these pages more user-friendly. We would like you to tell us what you think of this new format, to help us develop our statistics in the future. Email email@example.com with any questions or feedback.