House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 21 February 2013.
Statistics in this release present figures on new-build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period October to December 2012 and update those previously released on 15 November 2012.
The main points from this release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England numbered 26,830 in the December quarter 2012, 1% higher than the previous quarter
- completions (seasonally adjusted) numbered 27,890 in the December quarter 2012, 2% higher than the previous quarter
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 2% higher in the December quarter 2012 than the previous quarter, while starts by housing associations were 10% lower
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions increased by 5% and housing association completions fell by 5% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 58% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 45% below the March quarter 2007 peak; completions are 42% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 98,280 in 2012, down by 11% compared with 2011; annual housing completions in England totalled 115,620 in 2012, 1% higher than in 2011