House building in England: January to March 2014
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- House building: new build dwellings statistics, House building, and Live tables on house building: new build dwellings
- First published:
- 15 May 2014
- Applies to:
House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
Ref: ISBN 9781409842255 PDF, 1.21MB, 25 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 15 May 2014.
Statistics in this release present figures on new build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period January to March 2014 and update those previously released on 20 February 2014.
Key points from the latest release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England are estimated at 36,450 in the March quarter 2014, 11% higher than the previous quarter; the seasonally adjusted level of starts in the March quarter 2014 increased by 31% on the same quarter a year earlier
- seasonally adjusted completions are estimated at 27,670 in the March quarter 2014, 3% lower than the previous quarter; the seasonally adjusted level of completions in the March quarter 2014 increased by 12% on the same quarter a year earlier
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 15% higher in the March quarter 2014 than the previous quarter, whilst starts by housing associations were 22% lower
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions decreased by 2% and housing association completions fell by 8% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 113% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 26% below the March quarter 2007 peak; completions are 43% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 133,650 in the 12 months to March 2014, up by 31% compared with the year before; annual housing completions in England totalled 112,630 in the 12 months to March 2014, an increase of 4% compared with the previous 12 months
Published: 15 May 2014