House building in England: April to June 2014
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- House building: new build dwellings statistics, House building, and Live tables on house building: new build dwellings
- First published:
- 21 August 2014
- Applies to:
House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
Ref: ISBN 978-1-4098-4302-3 PDF, 1.25MB, 25 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 21 August 2014.
Statistics in this release present figures on new build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period April to June 2014 and update those previously released on 15 May 2014.
Key points from the latest release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England are estimated at 36,230 in the June quarter 2014, remaining stable compared to the previous quarter (0% change)
- the seasonally adjusted level of starts in the June quarter 2014 increased by 18% on the same quarter a year earlier
- seasonally adjusted completions are estimated at 29,540 in the June quarter 2014, 6% higher than the previous quarter
- the seasonally adjusted level of completions in the June quarter 2014 increased by 7% on the same quarter a year earlier
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 2% higher in the June quarter 2014 than the previous quarter, whilst starts by housing associations were 12% higher
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions increased by 4% and housing association completions rose by 15% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 112% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 26% below the March quarter 2007 peak
- completions are 39% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 137,780 in the 12 months to June 2014, up by 22% compared with the year before
- annual housing completions in England totalled 114,440 in the 12 months to June 2014, an increase of 7% compared with the previous 12 months
Published: 21 August 2014