Official Statistics

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2011 to 2012

Official statistics on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework.

Documents

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2011 to 2012

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Pre-release access list: homelessness prevention and relief: England

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Detail

This is an official statistics release on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework in 2011 to 2012. This is the 4th year for which figures on homelessness prevention and relief have been published by the Department for Communities and Local Government under arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.

Although the previous 3 releases were badged as ‘experimental’ official statistics, in recognition that this is a relatively new data series, DCLG statisticians judge that the response rates and the quality of the figures received for 2011 to 2012 have now improved enough for the ‘experimental’ label to now be removed.

The main points from the latest release are:

  • in 2011 to 2012, a total of 199,000 cases of homelessness prevention or relief are estimated to have taken place outside the statutory homelessness framework in England; of these, 174,800 (88%) were preventions and 24,200 (12%) were cases of relief
  • the total number of cases of homelessness prevention or relief increased by 5% when compared to 2010 to 2011; this is due to prevention cases increasing by 7%, while cases of relief decreased by 2%
  • in 2011 to 2012, 57% of cases of homelessness prevention and relief involved the household being assisted to obtain alternative accommodation; the remaining 43% involved the cases being assisted to remain in their existing home; this has not changed since 2010 to 2011
  • the most common action taken to prevent or relieve homelessness was the use of landlord incentive schemes to secure private-rented-sector accommodation; in 2011 to 2012, 27,600 cases (14%) were assisted in obtaining alternative accommodation this way, though this was a decrease of 10% compared to 2010 to 2011
  • the amount of homelessness prevention and relief activity varied across the regions: the North East had the highest rate of cases of prevention and relief with 11.8 cases per 1,000 households; the West Midlands (11.7 cases per 1,000 households); Yorkshire and the Humber (11.5) and the East Midlands (10.8) also had high rates of prevention and relief; the East of England, with 6.8 cases per 1,000 households, had the lowest rate