Official Statistics

GCSE entries in England: November 2017

The number of entries by subject for GCSE in November 2017 in England.

Documents

November 2017 GCSE entries - report

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

November 2017 GCSE entries - background information

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

November 2017 GCSE entries - data tables

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Details

  1. Overall GCSE entries in November 2017 exam series in England (67,985) fell by 19% compared to 2016.
  2. Entries in GCSE English saw a 29% increase – growing from 25,610 in 2016 to 32,970.
  3. Entries in mathematics entries decreased by 41% from 58,840 in 2016 to 34,790.
  4. The majority (87%) of entries in maths were made for the foundation tier paper and the remaining (13%) entered for the higher paper.
  5. All entries for the November GCSE are from year 12 and above – year 11 students are no longer allowed to enter the November examination series.
  6. Year 12 entries remain stable, with a drop of less than 1% from 43,850 in 2016 to 43,650 in 2017 whereas year 13 and above entries have seen a bigger drop of 38% to 24,285 in 2017.

Geographical coverage

This report presents data on entries for GCSEs in England. Reports published in previous years included data for learners in Wales and Northern Ireland as well. As such, historical figures in this year’s report reflect data for England and may differ from previously published figures.

For all statistical releases for the academic year 2016 to 2017, Ofqual will publish separate data tables for learners in Wales and Northern Ireland, without commentary.

Responsibility for publishing data for learners in Wales and Northern Ireland has been passed to Qualifications Wales and CCEA respectively for the academic year 2017 to 2018 and beyond.

User feedback

We are publishing our statistical releases in a new format and would really like to hear your views on it. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to statistics@ofqual.gov.uk.

Published 30 November 2017