Find further breakdowns of these statistics in Stat-Xplore, an online tool for exploring some of the Department for Work and Pensions’ main statistics. You can use Stat-Xplore to create your own customised tables and charts.
DWP is investigating a discrepancy with the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) codes for ESA and Incapacity Benefit. While we assess the scale of this issue, we have temporarily removed tables 7 and 9 from the data tables. We will provide an update when we have more information.
This publication provides statistics on:
- the outcomes of completed Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Work Capability Assessments (WCA)
- claims still in progress
- claims closed before the Work Capability Assessment process is complete
- outcomes of completed appeals for ESA Work Capability Assessments
This release also includes:
ESA Work Capability Assessment mandatory reconsideration registrations and outcomes to April 2018
- statistics on ESA Work Capability Assessment mandatory reconsideration clearance times to April 2018
- more detailed ‘experimental’ cohort information
ESA clearance times, including regional breakdowns, to December 2017
- completed appeals outcomes for initial WCA’s to March 2017
The publication covers both new and repeat ESA claims and information on claims undergoing reassessment of incapacity benefits for ESA in Great Britain.
Read background information on these statistics in ESA: outcomes of Work Capability Assessment policies and statements.
Find more about DWP statistics and contact details on the Statistics at DWP page.
Find details of future releases of DWP statistics releases in the statistics release calendar.
Next release date: September 2018.