Energy Trends and Prices statistical release: 30 June 2016
The latest provisional monthly energy production, consumption and prices statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 30 June 2016.
Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period February to April 2016, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 1.3%, on a temperature adjusted basis consumption fell by 1.8% continuing the downward trend. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by 2.3%, boosted by increased UK Continental Shelf production. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 1.9%, with coal down 56% but offset by increase in gas up 62%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 44.4% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with nuclear at 21.020.9%, renewables at 19.5% and coal at a record low of 15.2%.* (table ET 5.4)
- In April 2016 coal consumption by electricity generators was at a record low level, reflecting reduced coal generation capacity along with an increase in the carbon price floor, and the conversion of a third unit at Drax from coal to biomass. (table ET 2.6)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers down 0.7%, with offshore up 12.8% due to increased capacity, but onshore down 13.6% due to lower average wind speeds.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 1.1 percentage points to 40.4%, due to rises in renewables, particularly bioenergy, generation.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for June 2016 compared to May 2016:
- Petrol prices up 2.6 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices up 2.9 pence per litre, these rises reflect the increase in the price of crude oil. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Iain Macleay, Tel 0300 068 5048
Press enquiries, Tel 0300 060 4000
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of April 2016.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of May 2016.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for May 2016, and petrol & diesel data for June 2016, with EU comparative data for May 2016.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 28 July 2016.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number||Energy production and consumption, and weather data|
|Total Energy||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|Coal||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|Oil||Contact: Natalie Cartwright, Tel: 0300 068 5260|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|Gas||Contact: Matthew Curds, Tel: 0300 068 8414|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|Electricity||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 2928|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|Weather||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Subject and table number||Energy prices data|
|Domestic energy price indices||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|International road fuel prices||Contact: Matthew Gardner, Tel: 0300 068 5057|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|