Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period December 2015 to February 2016, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 7.3%, with average temperatures 1.9 degrees Celsius warmer than a year earlier. On a temperature adjusted basis consumption fell by 3.6% continuing the downward trend. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by 7.7%, boosted by increased UK Continental Shelf and low carbon production. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 5.5%, with coal down 49% but offset by increases in gas up 33% and renewables up 17.8%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 35.3% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with renewables at 24.1%, nuclear at 21.7% and coal at 18.8%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 13.7%, with record levels for total and offshore wind generation in December 2015.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 5.7 percentage points to 45.8%, due to rises in renewables, particularly bioenergy and offshore wind, generation.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for April 2016 compared to March 2016:
- Petrol prices up 4.7 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices up 4.6 pence per litre, these rises reflect the increase in the price of crude oil. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Iain Macleay, Tel 0300 068 5048
Press enquiries, Tel 0300 060 4000
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of February 2016.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of March 2016.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for March 2016, and petrol & diesel data for April 2016, with EU comparative data for March 2016.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 26 May 2016.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number
||Energy production and consumption, and weather data
||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041
||Indigenous production of primary fuels
||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis
||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050
||Coal production and foreign trade
||Coal consumption and coal stocks
||Contact: Natalie Cartwright, Tel: 0300 068 5260
||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports
||Stocks of petroleum
||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products
||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption
||Contact: Warren Evans, Tel: 0300 068 5059
||Natural gas production and supply
||Natural gas imports and exports
||Natural gas imports
||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 2928
||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers
||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system
||Availability and consumption of electricity
||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047
||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean
||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean
||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean
||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean